My dream since college... my 1995 840Ci

• I'm a new member and I look to learn more about the 8 series, plus learn of everyone's experience!

I was still in college during the '92 LA Auto Show when I first saw an 8 series in person when I didn't even know it existed... I told my college buddies back then when I first sat in it, "This is my dream car, I'm going to have one of these some day."

15 years later, it comes true. Of course I wish I could have had an 850CSi, manual speed, but I will have to "settle" for the 840Ci!

I bought this in the OC for a decent price. A few things to first fix:

- one horn is broken, one horn is missing
    - front driver-side wheel well is bulging out and has a significant hole
    - front "small" grill below right-side high beams is missing
    - intake manifold leaks, will fix this soon (any idea how much this should "REALLY" cost me?)
    - something about "brake reactor arms" ( i have to look at my report )
    - hood supports broken
    - pixels missing from on board computer screen
    - paint is not original
    - washer fluid line broken/leaking

Future projects after the above has been taken care of:

- new rims to replace stock... 18" or 19" alloy definitely, not sure yet on style and make. Any suggestions? I still don't know what style I like. do 20" rims fit or is that overkill?
    - new tires for the new wheels.
    - replace stereo and cd changer. The cd changer is so old it won't play Audio CDs that I create!
    - activate car phone? do those still work??

Other than that, I don't know what else to do! I'm here to learn and see what sort of modifications should be done or should not be done.

I'm loving my car, but after seeing everyone's pictures here, mine looks so boring and plain! But at the same time, I like the untouched pure original look of it.

Comments and suggestions welcome! Again, I'm here to learn and have fun.

• Hello Cel0202 and welcome aboard!

That's a very nice looking car you've got there, I can understand that you're pleased with it :)
    As to your problem points noted, I'm still pretty new to the cars myself (bought my 8 earlier this year) but don't worry - you'll soon notice that there's a great bunch of people here that will offer help.
    Other places that you can look for help are roadfly.com - there's a dedicated forum for 8 series and it's got a great archive to search around in for articles. Also try wuffer.net - lots of good stuff you can download including trouble shooting manuals. Also have a look at 8coupe.com for info on the 8 series production and of course e31faq.com - it does what it says on the tin :)

The Pixel proble is very common, mine suffered from this and I replaced the MID unit - stateside I understand that there's a "silent re-call" from BMW on this issue and that there is a way to get a new unit from BMW with minimal cost to you - I'm sure some fo the US based club members can help you more on this.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy your 8

Cheers,
    Jason

• Cel202,

Also welcome from Holland. How many miles did your car do?
    It seems like you've only got some minor problems with your car which can be fixed without costing you to much money. I'm not sure about the intake manifolds, though (and obviously the respray). Although, they are easy accesable and should take little time to take off.
    The 'brake reaction arm thing' may have something to do with worn bushings.
    You'll find that there is always something to do to the 8 and it may never be really in concours condition (for long). This is what makes it a hobby.

Peter

• Thank you to the both of you for the warm welcome!

The one drawback about the car is the mileage, it had just under 100k miles on it when I bought it. I suppose that is both a good thing and bad thing. I am always amazed when I read about 8s with very little mileage on them. In Southern California, all the listings I've found for any 8s have had at least 60k+ miles. I believe I am the 4th owner of this particular one.

Jason, thanks for the links. I'll try and follow-up regarding the recall for the on-board computer display. Hopefully US based members will give me more insight to this!

Peter, since I don't have experience in reparing engines of any kind myself, I'll need to take my car to a mechanic to get fixed. I wish I knew how to change these things myself considering the gaskets are fairly cheap. The labor has been quoted to be approximately $500 to replace these gaskets. I think that's another reason why I wanted to join these forums; so I don't get ripped off with any of the work I'll need to have done. I also suppose this would be a good time to learn how to do certain things myself!

Thanks again to the both of you for the information.

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic M Parallels, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

• You have a Beautiful car there, Some times those leaks have a loose screw, Make sure all screws are secure before forking over the cash, There fun to wrench on and will save you a bundle, My first leak was the transmission lines on the bottom, One turn of a wrench and the leak was gone! Your car looks well taken care of, Good luck!!!

• Hi from England, Looks a smashing car and i hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it, the guys on the site are very friendly and always helpfull. I bought my 1992 850 eight and a half year ago and it had 99000 mile on it then, its now only got 122000mile. It might be good to have a car with low miles on but as long as you are happy with yours just enjoy it. Regards, RON

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!