New Owner! Love this club!

• Hello everyone,

I have just become the proud owner of a black 97' BMW 840ci w/ just over 100K miles. I have been scouring this site for the past few weeks and thought it was appropriate to introduce myself! I might not have the V12, but no shame here, because I LITERALLY can't remember the last time i saw an 8 series in the US (I live in Virginia). It is such a rare treasure. The car absolutely thrills me, and if it weren't for this forum, i dont know where I would go to find others with that passion.... I have already seen that many of you feel the same.

This club is absolutely invaluable... I've already utilized SEBs advice on repairing the headlight adjustment screws (failed inspection due to this problem.) I've deconstructed the light and now just need to go to the dealer to find the replacement parts. Today I ordered an aftermarket front spoiler on ebay. item # 260190343593. It was so cheap ($375 w/ shipping) it is probably too good to be true, but looks damn sporty.

I feel like the internet... and perhaps the world for that matter, does not give the 8 series the kind of attention it deserves... I want to google "840" and find more parts, upgrades and information than I have time for.... If it werent for this forum, Id likely go crazy...

Here's a question I havent yet seen addressed, would love to get some feedback.... Can a remote starter be wired to the 8 series? I just thought it would make me feel even more like Batman if I could start my ride remotely... but I know there are some security controls on the BMW that might prevent keyless starting... let me know if youve got any ideas.. Thanks guys!!!!

• First of all welcome to the club !!!! You have joined a group of guys that are nuts about this car, yes they are expensive to work on and many cars for less money will outperform it, but so what, enjoy going to the gas station and having people ask if it is a "new model" The scarcity of these cars are what makes them so great, I have had five Corvettes, and this is my favorite car by far.. very unique.. As far as the remote start I have seen some on e-bay (not currently listed) but some of the fellas here on the forum have signed off on it, so that is good enough for me, just looking or someone I trust enough to play with my wiring harness, anyway welcome, you will love the car ...

Happy Motoring...

DMP :twisted:

• Remote start.

I had an aftermarked alarm fitted to my car for insurance reasons, and the fact that I missed the remote lock/unlock feature on my 1990 850.

I believe this alarm has the ad-on of remote start, apparently it a bit of wiring to make this work according to my friend who work as an installer of these alarms.

Manufacturer is DEFA, A Norwegian brand. thay have been making Alarms, warmup systems and such for as long as I can remember, at least 25 years and are the leading aftermarked brand in Norway.

My alarm has the following features.
    typical door switches on all doors, glass shatter sensor, motion detector inside the car, jack-up motion sensor, keyless lock/unlock, and immobiliser.
    As an option you can have an SMS module that sends you an SMS if the alarm is triggered, but I dont have that on my car.
    If you have a factory remote lock/unlock the alarm is connected to the factory system so no extra remote for the alarm system is needed.

I also have a live Gps-tracker installed from a different vendor which sends me an SMS if the car is moved 60m/55yards away from it's parked possision.

Here is their web page.

http://aus.defa.com/en/

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!