Wanted: CSi rear springs

• Hi guys

Looks like my rear springs have broken :shock: so it's time to replace them. I fitted H&R in the front some time ago, but left the rear stock as the H&R are too low (and too soft it seems too). So I think the CSi rears will be an ideal partner to the H&R fronts.

Does anyone have a pair they want to sell? I may try buying some from the dealer, presumably I don't need a CSi chassis number like you do to get parts for some of the M-cars!

• Hi Tony

I'm not too bothered about the height -- in fact I don't want to lower the rear much at all. One of the reasons I did not fit the H&R rear springs is because I thought they are too low. The standard 840 looks like the front is too high, so fitting the H&R in only the front looks perfect IMO. The other reason I stayed with stock in the rear is that the H&R are actually softer than stock :shock: as can be seen here.

Do you know how the Sport springs compare in terms of stiffness? My main attraction to the CSi springs is that they are a fair bit stiffer than standard, which should help reduce the tendency to understeer. Although I probably also need the CSi rear anti-roll bar.

What sort of price are you looking for? I have not yet called the dealer for a quote on new CSi springs. Presumably yours look pretty good condition wise? My main concern with fitting used versus new springs is that they may end up snapping just like my standard ones have done!

Cheers :)

• As far as I can tell they are in great condition. No splits or cracks etc. Price wise I'd say £50 +shipping (I'd use TNT) would be fair ? What do you think ?

As you may know, I replaced my springs with Eibach ones F&R and whilst the rears are fine, the fronts are still a little too high. The only reason I replaced them was for the lowering aspect, and not because they needed doing.

Looks like I may have to invest in some H&Rs since they are getting better reviews (wished I'd read this before I ordered the Eibachs....)

If you get time, could you measure the distance from under the front wheel arch to the centre of the front wheel in mm, this will tell me how far the H&Rs will drop compared to Eibach, when put in an 840 (the 850 has a heavier engine obviously so should affect the compression more).

Sorry to hijack your thread, but if anyone has some H&R fronts they want to sell..... :lol:

Presumably 'chopping' the stock Sport srings 30- 35mm is a BIG no no ???

• Hi Tony,

The price is very fair, I will be in touch shortly once I check whether the sport springs are stiffer than stock. Do you know if they are the same height as standard 840Ci springs, or slightly lowered like the CSi ones?

Regarding your Eibachs, I wouldn't fret too much as it seems there is no ideal solution for the 8 in terms of a single package. I am very happy with the H&R on the front, but as mentioned they are too low and too soft in the rear -- I believe Eibach are better in this regard. It is unfortunate that aftermarket suppliers won't sell pairs, as it's possible H&R fronts and Eibach rears would be the ideal combination. Of course you can buy a full set of each, but you're needlessly paying double the price!

I will measure my wheel arch height this evening. Bear in mind that mine is a manual so will be slightly lighter, although we're only talking about 20-30Kg so shouldn't really make much difference on such a heavy car.

I'm not sure about cutting the stock springs, it's not something I have any expertise in therefore I personally wouldn't do it. I think the design of the front springs in particular doesn't really lend itself to cutting, you may have to remove a whole coil which would be about 50 mm :shock:. I feel safer just using something off the shelf that has been designed and tested at the height it was manufactured, although opinions vary hugely on this.

Paul.

• Just been to check the rear springs (in my lock up at work). When replying earlier I simply assumed they were in the 100% condition the fronts are/were - they are inside as I'd toyed with the idea of chopping them a few months back but never got round to it.

The rears are somewhat different. At the coil ends the powder coating has cracked and flaked off. I have wire brushed the flakes off and the coils themselves appear fine - only the paint was coming off and the coils themselves are not damaged - but I am no expert on this stuff.

I have taken pictures below, and you are more than welcome to have them for free as they are no use to me. I won't be replacing the Eibachs that are in the rear of my car anyway.

If I can help another member in this way them I'd be happy. £50 is not worth losing a hard won reputation as a decent chap :D

PM me your address and I'll post them up to you this week and you can assess their worth :D

• Hi Tony,

That is a very generous offer for which I am very grateful :D. They do look OK but I will have my mechanic give me an opinion on whether to fit them, as I was told that springs tend to crack near the top or bottom due to the manufacturing process so I need to be sure these will be OK. If I do decide to fit them I will send you some money as a gesture of thanks for offering them to me. Of course I will pay postage either way -- I will PM my address.

I priced up CSi rear springs from my local dealer and they are £147 + VAT so just over £170 which the parts guy thinks is for a pair (I certainly hope so). According to the pricing on RealOEM the CSi are the same price as the standard springs so the price seems about right for a pair. If I don't use yours then most likely I will order a pair of CSi springs, although they are on back order from Germany :?.

Cheers
    Paul.

• Measurements are in for my H&R fronts.

RHS: 351mm
    LHS: 355mm

Both measurements from the top of the arch to the centre of the wheel. Not sure why there is a 4mm difference between the two :?, could possibly be a side effect of my broken rear springs.

• Zitat von Paul_M

Measurements are in for my H&R fronts.

RHS: 351mm
    LHS: 355mm

Both measurements from the top of the arch to the centre of the wheel. Not sure why there is a 4mm difference between the two :?, could possibly be a side effect of my broken rear springs.

Thanks Paul,

PM received and I'll post them off tomorrow for you via TNT. I dont want any cash for them, they are better being used than just sat on my shelf.

Those measurements for your H&Rs are significantly different to my set up. Originally mine was 380mm with the stock springs in. Now they measure 368mm. I do have the Camber Plates fitted and this can account for around 5mm (the thickness of the plates) but you can see that I'm still way off the 30mm claimed drop. I looked at the site I bought them from earlier again and they have changed the claims to 25mm front, which I think is a bit weird.

I also have Bilsteins in, which might fight the drop further, but I'm still nowhere near where I want to be. The whole situation with my springs is odd. Somedays I look at the car on the drive and it seems lower, somedays it is embarrassingly high. Today is just average.

Thinking back to when I chose the springs I must admit I was swayed by price, as well as brand. H&Rs for a full set are around 350, and Eibachs were 250. Naturally I went with the latter figuring the difference would effectively pay for their install !

Since you cant buy pairs for front only, I'm faced with the option of buying a full set of H&Rs to drop the car properly, plus cost of fitting. It seems daft to spend another 500 inc fitting just for another 15mm drop, even if it would 'look' much much better. Plus who is going buy the rears on ebay when it is well known that H&R rears are no good ???

Other than that the only other brand is PI which claim a 35mm drop and cost around 170. I've heard of no one with these in, and as a result am unsure as to what to do.....

• Hi Tony,

The Eibachs do seem to be a little disappointing in terms of the drop at the front, which is a pity as they're probably a better all round package than the H&R due to the poor design of the rears of the H&R.

You have quite a novel solution to shortening the Eibachs :shock: although I'm not a metallurgist so I have no idea how this affects the long term strength of the spring. I assume you have done some research in this area before embarking on your plan. Presumably the presses will hold the springs in place 30mm shorter than before, in the hope that they'll lose some of their elasticity?

Thanks again for sending me your old rear springs :)

• Zitat von Paul_M

You have quite a novel solution to shortening the Eibachs :shock: although I'm not a metallurgist so I have no idea how this affects the long term strength of the spring. I assume you have done some research in this area before embarking on your plan. Presumably the presses will hold the springs in place 30mm shorter than before, in the hope that they'll lose some of their elasticity?

Clearly I have an over active and often misplaced imagination.

After an evening's 'research' I'm not going to use my machines to to crack this nut, but I maybe a set of Spring Compressors will do the job better. As I'm in no immediate rush, I propose to compress a single coil by, for example, 100mm and leave it for a week. Then measure whether the coil has taken a 'set' that is shorter than the original length. If so then I can either do the same to the other, or increase the compression on the first coil until the unsprung length is 35mm shorter than the unmolested one.

Cutting a coil off is a definite bad idea I will not be going down this route. I dont want the springs becoming unseated on humpback bridges or on maintenance ramps etc. I wont be tampering with the Eibachs, just the stock Sport Springs I took off. If I bust them, it's no problem - they are also just sat on my shelf gathering dust.

If nothing else I'll have a set of spring compressors that will mean I can fit H&Rs or PIs to my car myself, following the tutorial on e31faq.com :D

It's either that or transplant a V12 (or a paving slab) under the bonnet for the extra weight :lol:

• Brilliant, many thanks Tony 8)

I need to get my finger out and head down to the dealer to order the other parts I'm going to replace while I'm in there, such as new spring mounts and damper top mounts, as well as a set of damper mount reinforcement plates from Gerry.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!