840Ci vs. 840Ci Sport - is the rear bumper the same?

• As above... is the main rear bumper piece the same part #, with an additional lower piece fitted onto it for the Sport?

Thanks!

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Ah...Well, that would be a story that involves me having a blowout of the off-side rear tyre, on a deserted M6 toll road the other evening.

The Man U - Chelsea game was on, so there was zero traffic, and I was keen to see how fast this baby would go. And fast it went, but the rear (Goodyear F1) tyre couldn't keep up. I am pleased to report that the car remained stable, given the circumstances, but all the flying rubber took off half the rear bumper; rather than be annoyed at this spectacular, I found myself thanking my lucky stars that I drove such a heavy, well engineered car...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• I had the same on a new (500mls only) Pirelli P-Zero at about 120 mph on the M3.
    Took some threatening letters and an independant inspection of the tyre but eventually got Pirelli to replace BOTH rear tyres FOC.
    Again, thanks to the car design, I heard a bang and the steering went a little vague but nothing scary and I just pulled across on to the shoulder with no dramas. (foot off throttle and no braking)
    Then spent 45 mins removing the stereo to get to the spare.
    It was on my way to a first date too so I was late, but she did show appreciation for my effort!!!

• Mainly because I need to use the car intensively over the next couple of weeks and didn't want to do so with a loose bumper, I somewhat shamefully must confess that I have paid a LOT of money to a bodyshop to paint and fit a new rear bumper (and splashguard, and two bumper slides, whatever they are). The total of the parts came to £ 713, Labour £ 150, "Other Charges"(Which I am going to question) £ 88.00. Add the VAT and the total came to a sweet £ 1118.56

Although the colour match is good, I can't say I am all that impressed with the work; on close inspection yesterday I found

1.) a light 3" surface scratch

2.) the gap between the bumper and the panel above it is a few millimetres bigger than it was before. I noticed this when I collected the car, and was told that that as the panel attaches at the top of a steel bar behind it there is no easy way to adjust this height. Although the shop did concede that by accessing some attachment screws from inside the boot (after removal of trim panels) some adjustment might be possible. (Though no offer of actually doing this).

3.) The long 'fake airvent' strip towards the bottom of the bumper was painted (or had some kind of fixed sufacing) matt black on my old bumper; all this bodyshop have done is fit a strip of what looks and feels exactly like electrical tape. It hadn't been put on all that straight, either. I removed the ends of it myself to re-affix the tape a little straighter. My experience of electrical tape is that it gets brittle over time and loses adhesion, so I am not all that pleased with this solution.

So, two questions;

Could somebody tell me roughly what the correct panel gap is (in millimeters) between bumper and panel above?

I acknowledge that painting the black strip must be tricky; can somebody tell me what the 'correct' solution for this is?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• How much :shock: , if I'm paying that much for a new bumper I would expect everything to be spot on.

I couldn't tell you about the gap as I'm not near my car, but I thought that black strip is actually stuck on, it mentions on realOEM that its a foil.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!