Overheating when the heaters are on?

• I've recently encountered a mild case of overheating whilst the blowers are on. There doesn't seem to be any hot air coming from the system either. I'll eek out a blast of hot air if I give it a bootful of revs but it soon dissipates.

I've worked out that if I drive with the hvac unit switched off it doesn't seem to overheat but I haven't tried sitting in traffic for long periods to test this theory.

Has anyone encountered this before and any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks

• Sounds like what I was experiencing.
    Sometimes the car would go past the 12 o'clock mark on the temp gauge both with motorway driving and sitting in traffic and I'd have no hot air from the blowers. Other times when I was driving I'd get a short blast of hot air out the blue.

After searching the forum I was convinced it was an airlock.
    Spent the weekend trying to clear it and think I've solved it. :harhar:

Get hot air on demand from the blowers and car stays dead on 12 o'clock on the temp gauge!

Try bleeding you coolant system as I did, oh and try to have the front of your car elevaterd while you bleed the system.

• Bleed the system.

-top up with water
    -Start and run the engine with the cap off
    -top up more if needed
    -rev the car, keep it steady over 2000rpm for a while (30 sec)
    -turn the heater to max temp max fan to open up the whole system
    -top up again
    -repeat untill there is no need to top up.
    -put the cap on and go for a drive, exccess water will be dispersed by the system.

While running at rpm have someone look into the water tank, there should be a thin string of water near the top.
    No string of water and the waterpump is busted.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!