EDC Clarification

• Jud sorry to continue with the subject my 850 (91) on the build sheet has 850Ci (ECE) :hmmmm: what does that mean? also I cannot work out if it ever had EDC there is a switch by the gear knob which has E,S,M on it but no designation on the build sheet.

EDC is academic as sports bilstiens are going on it this weekend :cool: :harhar:

Thanks for the enlightenment your knowledge is outstanding :rock:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Steve;

We moved your post out of the 840 Sport conversation because it is unrelated to the overall discussion. We have opened up a new thread with your post requesting EDC clarity.

Now about your questions (which we've discussed via email before), let's break it down:

Zitat von Steve5;57089

Jud sorry to continue with the subject my 850 (91) on the build sheet has 850Ci (ECE)

Your car is an 850i and was built on 1991-04-15. The 850i branding designation was for the 1990-92 model years and was switched over to 850Ci for the 1993 model year (August/September 1992 production). BMW made a decision to call the 850i the 850Ci on its internal databases and consequently configured their Information Technology databases to call this car the 850Ci regardless of the branding/marketing effort.

The ECE designation means your car is the Euro version, which is approximately 75% of all 8er's produced.

Zitat von Steve5;57089

also I cannot work out if it ever had EDC there is a switch by the gear knob which has E,S,M on it but no designation on the build sheet.

Your car does not have EDC (Electronic Dampening Control). Had you car actually had EDC, it would have the option code outlined as follows:

• 223 ELECTRONIC DAMPER CONTROL (EDC)

The switch by the gearshift knob (E or A, S, M) controls the M70 850i/CiA 5spd automatic transmissions performance programs:

• E (or A): Economy program. When you start your car, this is the default transmission program for your vehicle best for low energy consumption.

• M: Manual program. From BMW's publications:

[INDENT]"This program is for single-gear driving (3rd gear if D/Drive is selected" The gear selected is also used from pulling away. For example, if the selector lever is in position 1 and you are driving up steep gradient, no undesirable upward gear shifts will take place. The same applies to driving on icy roads in winter with the selector level in position 3, you can pull away smoothly and no gear shifts will occcur."
    [/INDENT]

• S: Sport program. From BMW's publications:

[INDENT]"This is the program for an enthusiastic driving style. The gear shift points are delayed to make full use of the car's power reserves. The converter lockup clutch engages automatically in 3rd gear."
    [/INDENT]This information is covered in the Owners Manual.

Cheers,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!