Bouncy ride on 840 Sport at high speed

• Hi all,

My 840 Sport has an issue (I think) and if anyone can help that would be great!

At high speed, mainly on the motorway, say 70mph, I've noticed that the front of the car can bounce a little up and down. It seems fine at lower speeds, and I've tried to push the front of the car down whilst standing still (Duh! ;-)) and there is hardly any movement at all.

Any ideas? Cheers guys! :driver:

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

• Hi Steve,

Nope, doesn't have EDC - but does have the Mtechnic suspension pack (I think that was standard with all Ci Sports (post-1997)?

Maserati Shamal 1996

• Did you just notice this appearing out of nowhere? Made any recent changes to the car at all? Tyres, new suspension parts?

You the dark red E31 in Aberdeen right? Not seen you on the road recently.

I hope someone more educated than myself on these can offer some advice.

:winkwink:

• I would guess your shock absorbers are on the way out (front struts and rear shocks).
    At higher speeds where downforce becomes more of an issue, the front can lift up more, and if the damping effect of the shocks is not adequate the car's weight would bounce more on the springs.
    Regards
    Mat

• Zitat von MK;65179

I would guess your shock absorbers are on the way out (front struts and rear shocks).
    At higher speeds where downforce becomes more of an issue, the front can lift up more, and if the damping effect of the shocks is not adequate the car's weight would bounce more on the springs.
    Regards
    Mat

Well, I had my mechanic dude have a look at them and he reckons that the shocks are OK, but I'm going to get a second opinion.

If I do need to get the shocks redone, I'll get the Bilstein inserts all-round and camberplates through Gerry.

After checking, BMW insist that you need to replace the concentric wheel hub assembly if changing out the strut, but if you are just changing the inserts, not necessary as you don't remove the hub (its fairly fragile anyway, so taking it off damages it more often than not). total cost for the brand new struts and wheel hub --- £2,320.01 --- bargain!! LOL

It is really bizarre, as even at high speed, it does not occur all the time, only occasionally. I've also got a bizarre noise from the front left wheel, a bit like a distant rumble, but not feeling it through the steering wheel. I'm getting the thrust bushes changed to polyeurethane ones and changing the anti roll bar drop links to see if that solves it or not...but if anyone in the meantime has any suggestions for that one, or the bouncy-ness, let me know...PLEASE!!!!

Maserati Shamal 1996

• Hey nope no changes at all, its really bizarre! :hmmmm:

Yeah I'm the Canyon Red E31 bumbling around, its been at my place in Harrogate for a while getting bits done at it, mainly the new sunroof, bumper, etc etc. I'm getting it back on Wednesday, so you should be seeing me around again in no time! :driver:

Maserati Shamal 1996

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!