Bying original mufflers for 850CSI

• There's nothing wrong with the original exhausts, but most people change to aftermarket exhausts because they tend to be cheaper than the OEM solution and offer a louder and more agressive sound. Also, aftermarket exhausts usually weigh less, but don't expect a performance gain from that.

However, if you want to keep the car 100% original I don't think you have much alternatives but going OEM...

I'd have to take a closer look at my exhausts, but I seem to recall the tips are welded on - not part of the muffler itself. So the ETK is probably correct that you need part 18. I'll have a look later today.

• I just took a closer look at my exhausts. You may be correct the tips are part of the muffler after all. Well, the tips are welded onto the muffler, but they are definitely not some simple round tips. The tips are clearly designed for the muffler and it doesn't look like the ETK drawing at all. Confusing...

• Hmmm yes that's a bit confusing
    Do not whant to spend a fortune on these mufflers if they turn out looking like cheap copies.

And they do cost a foot and a arm :harhar:
    Well they will last a bit longer , just look terrible under the car when the rest look good.

Well hopefully there are someone out there that have seen them.

Regards
    Terje

• Thanks Reinhard! I should have looked the part up in ETK instead of just referring to the posted picture. But it seems the ETK contains a few errors regarding this part number (82 11 9 401 152). For the S70 850CSi the part is shown as round while for the M73 850Ci it's square. And to make things completely confusing the part is both round and square for the M70 850i/850Ci. A fine example of "don't rely blindly on the ETK" :).

The supplement "79X62 MM" for the part number seems to imply it's a square (well rectangular) tip. So despite being listed as an option for the 850CSi the tips wouldn't even fit since the stock 850CSi exhaust pipes (the non-removable tips) are 76 mm in diameter.

• Well, youve gone the one step further - again :top:

I think you´re right on all accounts and it is essentially just a(nother) glitch in the ETK.
    This also explains without much thinking why I haven´t seen any on a CSI so far. :toothbrush:
    If they were to be had for the M70 in a round shape they´d belong to the 1989 prototypes anyway - so not a big market for those :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Not sure i completely followed you guys there.:hmmmm:

But if i order these mufflers should i then expect that there are already Chromed tip's as the ones I have.
    If I understood you correct.

Anyone know someone in a BMW store that can take a picture of a new on?

Regards
    Terje

• Zitat von huldra66;75596

Not sure i completely followed you guys there.:hmmmm:
    But if i order these mufflers should i then expect that there are already Chromed tip's as the ones I have.

The tips are part of the muffler. You only need parts 2 and 4. No need to order the 4 tips (part 18 ). They won't even fit as they are not for the 850CSi but the 850i/850Ci mufflers. I was just like you confused by the drawing in the ETK, but the drawing is just plain wrong.

Zitat

Anyone know someone in a BMW store that can take a picture of a new on?

I don't think you'll find many dealers who have a set in stock ;).

• Hey have you checked if there are polished stainless steel that is just dirty, I have ordered on the number and they fit my rectangular end tubes. I have asked a friend who drives CSI and he would come back the way he looks.
    /Per

• Hi! How was yous? could you polish up yours tailpips, the answer I got is that the pipes are polished from delivery as you can see from the Revtors picture.

• Just as shown in Revtors picture they still look just the same as they where delivered back in 1994 :)

See pictures below of the new ones and hove they look mounted.

Was a great feeling just knowing it looks good under the car as well :harhar: and people knowing the details of a CSI will identify it easily just by looking at the rear muffler.

One question : is it better to drill a small hole at the bottom to get moisture out to prevent it from rusting from the innside? :hmmmm:
    Anyone done that?

• Zitat von huldra66;76063

One question : is it better to drill a small hole at the bottom to get moisture out

I am not sure whether the hole will do any good. You´d best drill it in the lowest point which ... depends. :roll:
    The really bad rust problems that I have seen were always centered around the welding zone of the piping entering the muffler.

The best thing you can do to remove water is: drive :driving2:
    You need to drive quite a distance to warm up the system and get rid of condensed water. Short commuting will always lead to build up and reduced lifespan.

The 2nd best thing you can do but now is at least ten years in the future: stainless steel mufflers (non OEM)

Enjoy your car!
    Cheers
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!