Wipers and windscreen washers gone mad

• Drove intercity a couple of weeks ago.
    On the way had to turn on the wipers and windscreen washer.
    They went crazy.
    The washers emptied the water reservoir.
    The wipers decided to wipe about five or so times then stop.
    The wipers then would not work for a while, but after a period, if you flicked the switch, repeated the above.
    They will not park properly, in fact they are more likely than not to park in the middle of the screen or anywhere they like.
    To get them out of the way, I have pull over, get them working, then turn off the ignition just as they reach the bottom.
    Then they are at least out of the way.
    They do not start again provided I do not switch them on.

Spoke to my 8 Mechanic about it.
    He suggested disconnecting the batteries for about 15 mins.
    Did it and no change.
    Did it again for about four hours without change.
    Latest suggestion is to disconnect for 24 hours.
    Will try tomorrow.

Any ideas ?

Peter :help:

• Zitat von reinhard;76076

PS: excellent thread covering all the gory details of such drama here on Bimmerforums - read to the last page.

Sadly, but not posted in the bimmerforums.com thread, changing the relay did not fix the problem (it worked for 10 minutes, then quit again). Due to vague descriptions of the problem, we may have been looking in the wrong place all the time... The thread had been running at Wuffer's forum too and there's a great deal of extra information in the that thread.

To the topic starter: Disconnecting the batteries for an extended period is not going to help. Check the fuses as reinhard said. If those check out ok, try the following:

• Turn on the wipers (intermittent, continuous,... doesn't matter) and start your stopwatch.
    • When the wipers stop, what time has elapsed? 16 seconds at any chance?
    • Return the wiper lever to 0 and retry to activate the wipers. Does it work? I assume not.
    • Return the lever to 0 and wait for somwhat over 3 minutes - say 3:30 to be safe.
    • Retry activating the wipers. Do they work now? I assume yes (but once again only for a short period).

These instructions are just to identify your problem. They are not a fix in any way.

• I had the problem when was refitting the wiring loom connector bracket that sits next to the aux water pump.

I didn't mount the connector correctly in the bracket which caused a bad connection in plastic connector when refitted. The result was exactly the above symptoms and good fuses all round.

• Wipers and windscreen washers gone mad

Thanks everyone.
    Took a few days for me find the time but when you know the fix, it only took minutes.

Fuse #15 had failed.
    When replaced, operated the wipers and they parked correctly.

Have not tested every other function but will when I can wet the windscreen.

Hoping that this is not an indication of a more serious fault.
    Time will tell.

Peter

• Zitat von Peter Schweinsberg;76373

Have not tested every other function but will when I can wet the windscreen.

The fuse usually doesn't blow without reason, but luckily it doesn't power much components so it's easy to locate the problem. A very common cause of failure for F15 are the washer pumps (regular and intensive). Don't worry, these are cheap to replace. So if the wipers start to act funny after using the washers, you know where to look.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!