0-60mph/100kph acceleration

• I've tried to search the forum for similar threads without luck. Lately I've done several timed acceleration runs with my car from 0 - 100kph.

I got the Wokke chips, but otherwise the car is in original condition, 93' 850ci M70 automatic. She got new NGK plugs, new oil (5w50), oil filter, air filters etc. this winter, and I now time my car to about 7.5-8 seconds from standstill to 100kph. Probably closer to 8 seconds considering the speedometer shows lower speeds. 8 seconds was somewhat slower than expected. Has anyone else timed their car lately or know what we can expect from these cars?

I am curious if this is what I can expect from a 15 year old engine or if it's time to start replacing other parts as well.

My car has only run 140k km/85k miles and with all services followed. On my to-do list is a transmission oil and filter change, but otherwise the current oil level is fine. I just topped her up from mid on the dipstick to max a few days ago.

• Zitat von Trono;76859

and I now time my car to about 7.5-8 seconds from standstill to 100kph. Probably closer to 8 seconds considering the speedometer shows lower speeds. 8 seconds was somewhat slower than expected. Has anyone else timed their car lately or know what we can expect from these cars?

8 seconds is a tad too slow. But how did you do it?
    0-60 time in an automatic should be done by using your stall-speed before take-off. That means: Press the brake pedal, fully press the gas (at the same time) until the rev-counter reads approx 2000RPM (max). Then you let go of the brake. That should get rid of approx 1 second..

Another (but much more destructive) way to do it is drop-kicking it:
    (don't do it): Switch to Neutral. Rev up your engine to whatever speed you like (e.g. 4000 RPM) and then drop it into drive. Off you go... and your tranny with it.. :)

• I clocked my then 354hp Hartge 850IA to 7,4 seconds without using Dieters stall speed trick, by just standing still in drive and flooring it.
    If what he says is true my car should back then had done it closer to 6,5 seconds = CSI times.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Noggie;76867

I clocked my then 354hp Hartge 850IA to 7,4 seconds without using Dieters stall speed trick, by just standing still in drive and flooring it.
    If what he says is true my car should back then had done it closer to 6,5 seconds = CSI times.

I should give a fast 0-60 a shot in my CSi, I worry bout the gear box though.

• Yesterday I was fooling around a little with my CSi (unchipped) and by chance did a 0-100 kph run. It was a gentle one - I didn't build up the revs before and during shifting I didn't keep them up. I got it on video and the timecode overlay from where the nose starts to rise in first until it drops during the shift into third (@ ~100 kph) says 6.4 seconds. That's okay by me.

Here's the video (mp4, 4 MB)

...Mike

Aub, Blackpool, Bremen, Dingolfing, Dunmurry, Göteborg, Levallois, Rüsselsheim, Siedenburg

• Alright, so my car isn't completely off then. Good to know! :top:
    My runs has been with regular 95 octane gas too by the way. I guess a premium grade would help a little which is also recommended with the chip upgrade.

I'll try the stall speed trick next time!

• Tonight I did several more runs on premium grade gas and using the stall trick. I also ran the time from 0-110 on the speedo instead of 0-100. 8.4 seconds average! :hmmmm:

Now I don't expect anyone to be able to answer why. I just thought I'd post the result. I guess the problem can be anything and I will start by changing the oil and filter on the gearbox and revert to the original chips.

I also bought Dynolicious for the iPhone. It's a unscientific app that uses the gyro and gps for measuring Speed, HP etc. I has gotten good reviews as "it is not exact, but it's close" and it seems to match my manually timed runs closely (did three of both). So if anyone's interested here is the graphs and info:

1993 BMW 850
    Acceleration

0-10 km/h: 0.51 sec
    0-20 km/h: 1.00 sec
    0-30 km/h: 1.67 sec
    0-40 km/h: 2.48 sec
    0-50 km/h: 3.30 sec
    0-60 km/h: 4.16 sec
    0-70 km/h: 4.93 sec
    0-80 km/h: 5.74 sec
    0-90 km/h: 7.02 sec
    0-100 km/h: 8.30 sec
    0-110 km/h: 9.63 sec

Elapsed Time
    60': 2.44 sec @ 38.8 km/h
    330': 6.73 sec @ 87.9 km/h
    1/8 mi: 10.23 sec @ 113.3 km/h

Miscellaneous
    Max Speed: 114.4 km/h
    Max Acceleration: 0.47 G's
    Peak Horsepower: 239 HP (Calculated engine power considering 17% drivetrain loss)

• It's not that bad, is it? 8sec is not too shabby - yes, 7.2sec would be better. It's anyone's guess what could be the reason. It could be the MAFs, could be the oxy-sensors, could be the sparks/ignition, could be as simple as a dirty air filter... Could also be sluggish throttle plates, could be clogged up injectors... could be too thick/dirty oil in the tranny, could be an obstruction in the exhaust (you have your cats still in, I presume?).. could be a non-functioning crank-case ventilation valve... So many parts all of them so old.. it could be anything... and since the car works - nothing is broken.. just a little worn, maybe?

If it feels good to drive.. why bother?

In fact.. it could be nothing at all - all engines have tolerances concerning the power output...
    The 8er is not meant for 0-60 times, anyway! Cheer up! I say: it's ok.

• True that.
    I originally posted out of curiosity to see if my car was way off or not. I know a lot of things can come in to play and make a difference on this kinds of tests so I'm not going to start pulling every part apart to get it below 7 seconds or what not..

On the other hand I'm always striving to have a car in perfect condition. But as I said I will try the original chips and my planned services to the car. If the time improves that just a bonus :)

• Zitat von Trono;76929

I also bought Dynolicious for the iPhone. It's a unscientific app that uses the gyro and gps for measuring Speed, HP etc. I has gotten good reviews as "it is not exact, but it's close" and it seems to match my manually timed runs closely (did three of both). So if anyone's interested here is the graphs and info:

I have it too, just need to find a long, clear and flat road to test on. Sounds easy, but so many damn hills here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!