All packed and ready to go :)

• My luggage is in the 8 and in a matter of minutes me and "huldra66" are on our way to Holland.

The ferry leaves at 23.00 for Denmark and we expect to arrive in Holland tomorrow afternoon.

Hope to see some of you there.
    Hopefully we can make a good picture thread when we gat back.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• 400l of fuel later I'm back home. :driver:
    The average consumption was about 16l/100km based on distance driven an fuel filled. (not obc)
    On the return we had an average speed of 120km/h from the Nederlands to Denmark.... so we did not go slow.

Was an eventful drive in many ways but the car held up just fine.

started to notice my worn trailing arm bushings and the pitman arm bushing at high speeds.
    Managed to get 270km/h on the speedo, but there was a CSI in my way preventing a higher speed :grin2:
    The car was still pulling strong despite the far from optimal chip, 300 should be no problem at all.
    There is also some oil dripping from my crank house ventilation, at high speeds this does not end up on the ground, but on my exhaust.... so just after my 270km/h sprint there was a cloud of blue smoke behind me..... someone probably though I blew my engine.... But I didn't. :top:

The engine gave me some "jolts" on occasions at speed above 200km/h, I know one of my DK-motors are not that good so that might be why, plan to overhaul them this winter.
    Could also be an issue related to the engine mapping.

My fuel gauge is not to be trusted.
    Never had problems wen I just use the car a little every day.
    We pulled in for a fuel stop when Huldra's CSI had 20l remaining, my gauge and OBC said that I had just over 30l left so I was very happy with my consumption.
    I proceeded to fill 86l of fuel....... and that was a bit of a shock.
    Guess I need to pull the gauges out of the tank and have a look at them this winter, it appears to be to slow.

Gerry:
    Your drilled brakes works great, paired with dot 5.1 fluid I never had any brake deterioration what so ever, even after repeated braking from around 200km/h. :top:

back from this trip I now have a list of things to do:
    -replace TA bushings.
    -replace SC pulley
    -new chip.
    -DK-motor overhaul
    -fuel gauge troubleshooting
    -get the crank house ventilation sorted.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• "started to notice my worn trailing arm bushings and the pitman arm bushing at high speeds."

Noggie, what were the symptoms of these bushes being worn? I noticed after suddenly easing off at 120mph that the car changed direction slightly - is htis a bush issue?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Just changed my pitman bush last week after I check the suspension over because it didn't feel right even after all the new suspension. I was surprise how much play there was, the bush is probably the original one!
    It did take 6 ton to push it in and out!

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Steering wheel was shaking and the car was not as stable as before.
    I feel it all the time, especially in corners, and when braking the steering wheel shakes.

With new ones the car should be stable and calm at high speeds.
    I have e34 m5 bushings and the pitman arm bushing ready to go in, I just did not have time to do it before this trip.

under normal driving you will notice the cars steering will be imprecise and you will feel it when you brake as the wheel geometry will change (toe), causing sudden direction changes as you mention.
    You will also notice it over speed bumps, in extreme cases you will hear a "clank".
    Mine are not that far gone, but at high speeds the car became nervous and a bit of a handful to drive so we pretty much stayed below 200km/h.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;81508

under normal driving you will notice the cars steering will be imprecise and you will feel it when you brake as the wheel geometry will change (toe), causing sudden direction changes as you mention.
    You will also notice it over speed bumps, in extreme cases you will hear a "clank".
    Mine are not that far gone, but at high speeds the car became nervous and a bit of a handful to drive so we pretty much stayed below 200km/h.

Noggie this sounds as if you were driving my car before I changed the bush:top: Its much better now with the new bush

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• As picture says I had to wait for him all the time :harhar: ha ha.
    But Nice RPM in that speeed , car is not stressed at all.

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;81516

I have had e34 M5 bushes fitted. What is the "pitman" arm??

The pitman arm is the steering link on the passenger side of the car.

The pitman arm is no. 14. the bushing is no. 15. when the bushing is worn you will get play and an imprecise steering.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Fatandre;81526

I have a huge steering play. Any ideas?

The mentioned TA bushings, the pitman arm bushing and there is a possibility to tighten the steering box, however I do not recommend doing that yourself.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;81504

There is also some oil dripping from my crank house ventilation, at high speeds this does not end up on the ground, but on my exhaust.... so just after my 270km/h sprint there was a cloud of blue smoke behind me..... someone probably though I blew my engine.... But I didn't. :top:

Noggie,

didn't you install the crank house ventilation from John's kit. There should be no issue with dripping oil when the SC is in action.

otherwise you gonna end up like a few of the Dinan TT 850's.

cheers
    Olaf

• No I did not install that, it's just open in my engine compartment. the reason is simply that it goes into the exhaust and I'm getting a new cat-delete system as soon as I get the car running well.

After looking at the amount of oil that comes out if the ventilation at high RPM I really don't want all that oil in my exhaust system.
    I don't want to get the dreaded blue exhaust colour most of the time, it also means that I will have problems differing from the engine burning oil and the ventilated oil burning in my exhaust.
    I will instead install a PCV oil catch tank on each side of the engine that I will have to drain from time too time.

During normal driving there is not much oil coming out, but when you get to 4000+rpm there is a bit coming out.
    on my round trip to the Nederlands (3000km) I probably lost almost 0.3l of oil.
    Though we where driving mostly 140-180km/h, and had a few small sprints above 200km/h.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!