Car Started Revving Itself.

• Went to move the car during the week to do some work on it and it wouldn't start, Instrument lights all fine with key in pos 2, turn to pos 3 resulted in nothing, no noises, no dimming of lights. Tried that several times. So I figure I have a connection issue somewhere between the starter motor and the igniton, walked into the house have a cup of tea, tried it again and it fired up straight away.

Finished the work I was doing on it yesterday (which did involve having the batteries completely diconnected) and go to fire it up, same thing. Few more tries and it spluttered a couple of times at best. The batteries ( less than a year old) were showing voltages of 11.75. Put it onto a CTEK Charger for about 6 hours, batteries charged to 12.4v and tried again, struggled to turn over.

So today I got another vehicle and jump started it. It took a bit of effort, it started to cough and splutter, I kept the starter motor turning and it finally spluttered into life, ran crappy and lumpy and I couldn't lift off the accelerator or it would have stalled. After about about a minute it suddenly revved itself over 2000rpm, dropped back to 1600 rpm and revved itself backup to 2100 rpm and proceeded to do this rythmically on its own. I got out and moved the other car out of the way and tidied everything up whilst the car sat there gently revving itself. Sounded pretty good actually.

I switched it off and restarted it fine and it idled normally. Making sure I had my phone and AA card with me I took it out for a good 30 mile drive up the motorway and it was flawless. Got home stopped and restarted fine.

I'm probably not going to be able to find out what the non-start issue was until it does it again but has anyone experienced the car self revving itself like that?

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Think my CSI does about the same if batteries have been disconnected.

I also have to keep the accelerator pushed to keep it running and it also run crappy until I had it for trip including a few times at max throttle/ high RPM. Idle RPM in that period also varies until ignition has been of and engine started again, Always fine after that :)
    Also think I remember it did get as high as 2000rpm

Think it has to do with DK's synchronizing but not sure.

Regards
    Terje

• What exactly the reason is I don't know, but I've had this happen a few times. With all my experimenting with the car's electrical system, I frequently disconnect the batteries and every once in a while it will do so after reconnecting. Restarting the engine usually fixes it, but sometimes it's necessary to even disconnect and reconnect the batteries once more (just a quick disconnect - that always fixes the issue for me). Somehow it seems the engine management can get in an invalid state after a battery disconnect.

Anyway, don't worry about it...

• Ok, thanks for the replies, reassuring to know its not unusual. I have also disconnected the batteries many times but its the first time it did this.

Cheers.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• I've had the same issues, with an intermittent "Check Engine" light. I have cleaned everything, and am cleaning the MAFs and am rebuilding the DK motors - one was slower on return than the other, and it looks like it was due to the grease inside getting gummy.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Hi Shiggsy,
    This has happened to me but on my 1995 5 series, after it had been parked for a long time.
    After the car had reached normal temp, I switched it off, when it restarted it was fine.
    Since then the car has had an oil service by 8tech and no issues picked up. So not sure if it is a BMW thing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!