Tempted by the fruit of another...

• Right, I love my 8 in many ways but there's some aspects that no matter what I do to it won't change, the main one being it's not a sports car.

I am considering a relocation to a country where my research has shown that I will not be able to take my 8 with me, import of such vehicles is not possible.

This led me to thinking about choices - move and sell the 8, keep the 8 and not move, move, sell the 8 and get something else.

On the question of something else, one car that I've always loved and probably more so than an 8 series is the Ford GT40. Obviously I can't afford a real one and even if I could I wouldn't want one as the rarity is such that I would be unwilling to use it much. However, there are some fantastic replica producers out ther, CAV GT in South Africa, Race Car Reproductions in the USA and Tornado in the UK, all offer excellent products for an achievable cost.

What's the general view here? I know the 8 can be an excellent every day car as that's how I've been using mine and the GT40 is rather exotic and doesn't really lend itself to every day usage.

If you were in my position what would you do?

Cheers,
    Jason

• Depends if you are short ??? If I remember correctly i.e. if you are over (so called) average height!!! i.e. 5ft 10" you will not fit (1.78m) in a GT40. This is only what I have have been told

Gareth

• I have never come across the GT40 and 8 mentioned in any kind of exchange/comparison thread, so i assume you will, if you relocate, and have to sell the 8, also buy a daily driver alongside the GT40?
    I went down the same path of consideration as you, but my goal was to own a GT, which I never did think was possible, and looked at the replica options instead. You are right, RCR, CAV, Superperformance and Tornado all offer excellent cars, and they are now far from replicas in the old sense, with bespoke chassis, and impressive transmission and equipment options. I think if you buy right also, you are unlikely to loose much if anything on resale, there is strong demand and a growing enthusiasm for the GT40, spurred on a lot by the GT.
    Join http://www.gt40s.com great bunch on that forum, and a search will answer any questions you have.
    I was lucky enough to be able to buy a GT last year.

• Zitat von steveirl;86176

I have never come across the GT40 and 8 mentioned in any kind of exchange/comparison thread, so i assume you will, if you relocate, and have to sell the 8, also buy a daily driver alongside the GT40?
    I went down the same path of consideration as you, but my goal was to own a GT, which I never did think was possible, and looked at the replica options instead. You are right, RCR, CAV, Superperformance and Tornado all offer excellent cars, and they are now far from replicas in the old sense, with bespoke chassis, and impressive transmission and equipment options. I think if you buy right also, you are unlikely to loose much if anything on resale, there is strong demand and a growing enthusiasm for the GT40, spurred on a lot by the GT.
    Join www.gt40s.com great bunch on that forum, and a search will answer any questions you have.
    I was lucky enough to be able to buy a GT last year.

Hi Steve,
    your assumption is correct, we'd need a daily driver in addition to a fun car.
    I already joined www.gt40s.com a week or so ago, a great forum and I'm learning a lot - are you a member there? (my handle there is also argonaut).

How are you finding the GT?
    Cheers,
    Jason

• I am a member there Jason, but rarely visit it now as there is little activity on the GT, for that I joined http://www.fordgtforum.com
    The GT is an incredible car, I always loved them, and my first drive blew me away. My only criticism would be the steering assistance is a little over done, and the car is a little too quiet for what it is. I have solved that now though with a custom full exhaust system from Stainless Works in the US, and also had a suppercharger upgrade and ECU tune to push power and torque up, although in truth, it is a stupidly fast car as standard.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!