850 Ci switching over to limp mode

• Hi
    I am really at my wits end again with 2 of the old ladies
    I have just acquired an 850 Ci with intentions of restoring her to the full but the blessed thing keeps swithing over to limp mode
    It seem to run for a while then out the blue jump back into limp mode
    any suggestions where we can start looking
    :banghead::help:

• Unfortunately, as you know, Limp-Mode can be brought on by any of quite a long list of things.

From the exhaust, to see if the engine is working on only one bank and if so, which.

The easiest to check are those items associated with the ignition, and in particular, the spark sensors, which i think are on lead No 6. Also check the condition of the wires, distributor cap and rotor.

These were the items that gave most problem in my car until i found a broken ignition lead.

The other common possibility is a faulty MAF sensor.

However, given the number of 8-series that you have, it may well be worth you investing in a diagnostic tool to save on some guess work.

I think the INPA ones are quite inexpensive, although I understand the software is not the easiest to use. Carsoft is OK, for basic things and clones of the BMW DK versions are now quite cheap too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!