Rear wheel bearings + more

• Hi.,
    My rear bearings are now droning pretty badly getting louder from about 40mph+. I have the rear bearings and also a pulling tool but was unsure exactly how to go about this.I believe once i strip down the brakes etc i have to remove the diif output shafts, can anyone confirm this and if so do i need to remove the exhaust? Another problem i have is with a whining noise which goes with the engine revs both in gear and out, Is this typical with a failing pulley? I also have about 1 inch of play in my steering wheel which makes the steering feel slack. Finally the dreaded oil leak, i have replaced the rocker gaskets and lower sump gasket to no avail, The leak is quite small but destroying my driveway and was worried about the upper pan gasket.After getting under and lookiong around it seems like all around the upper pan is dry and the only noticeable oily bit is in the front of the engine just to the right of the AC pulley. Any help would be appreciated guys.BMW 840CI 1997 108K miles

• I would have a look at the power steering box, sits above the front subframe on RHS. Pentosin can pool on top of the frame and drip from a variety of places around there.

If anyone has done a steering box replacement I would appreciate any tips.

Mark

• Thanks for your reply, will check that out

Anyway i have put the car into a garage as i gave the rear bearing job a good look at b4 deciding that it could go badly wrong.I had the front of my car up on jack stands to have a look for the oil leak which is defo coming from the front somewhere so i think i will order the new upper timing gaskets.Whilst up though i noticed the nearside alu lower control arm is easily moveable by hand which looks like the bush has completely gone, I believe these are not replaceable and a new wishbone is required? I guess this could be why i have play in my steering and a little steering wobble under braking recently.

Finally, For a while i have had a problem where my car now and again idles a little rough and then kicks back in and runs fine and also whilst cold and on the throttle stutters a little. I thought camshaft sensor and have now bought 2 from different sources but when i install them the car wont start so i just put the old one back in and it starts no problem. Any ideas on this one.

cheers

• What made you suspect the camshaft sensor? Diagnostics is really necessary to make a clear judgment. I've never heard of an car that would not start when a new sensor is fitted! Was it an OEM part from BMW?

• Hi,
    Timm i had a couple of near stalling issues and had looked about the forums which pointed in the direction of the CPS, Also it has been on the car since new i believe so thought i would change it anyway.The first one i bought was from e-bay which i sent back, The second i bought was made by Flennor and as stated the car also woldnt start, I have ordered another one only this is oem so shall see if this works.I managed to get 2 x lemforder lower control arms for £275 which i thought was pretty good.

• The whining may be the belt adjustment damper. I'm not sure what the exact name is for it but I often get a little squeak and sometimes the power steering goes into non-power steering mode for a second when pushing hard. I must replace that! The oil leak may be the connection to the oil cooler behind the front grill. I had this once and the oil gently runs down the pipes until it can drop off the car around that area. have a look with a torch through the front grill for any signs. Hope this helps...Bob

• Bob, for info I had a similar problem to the one you describe. In my case it was the PS pump. Once replaced I experienced a periodic whining and found the pentosin level down. I topped it up and all went quiet for a while then it started again. After lots of :hmmmm: I found the output shaft seal on the PS box was now leaking, I guess as a result of the pump putting out decent pressure. I only mention this in case changing your tensioner does not solve the issue, hope it does as the pump was £400 and now I need to deal with the PS box.:roll:

Cheers

• Hi,
    The car is still awaiting its new wishbones, However regarding the whining with engine revs my mechanic seems to think that its coming from the gearbox which is not the news i was looking for due to the nightmare i have already had with the box.What could cause this? Could low oil be the problem because i believe it is quieter when the car is warm.Its defo not the pulleys as all the belts were off although i wonder if it could possibly be the PS pump as after looking on a few forums some people had whining with revs which disappeared after changing it(if the belts are off would the pump be moving?):banghead:

Thanks

• As you suggest, it won't be the pump if the noise is there with the belts off. The gearbox can make a whining noise if the fluid is low.

• Hi,
    Just a little update guys, I got her back today with both front upper and lower control arms replaced along with both rear bearings and a new camshaft sensor. Suspension feels a lot better although my mechanic confirmed my steering box is goosed.There is no more bearing drone on the motorway, Also feels a bit more responsive and my rough idle has not yet returned.He had a look for the oil leak but says the engine needs a good clean to make things a bit easier although he did say the upper pan gasket area looks dry. I had another look in the engine bay and noticed that the pentosin holder was wet onth esides and underneath, so i took the lid of and pumped the brakes and it was ready to overflow so i removed a good bit of fluid.It must have had too much in it and the gasket on the cap was letting it leak so at least thats one oil leak fixed.

Cheers

• Had a good long drive and feeling a little wobbly under braking sometimes, Will have to get laser alignment done now after changing track rods etc and hopefully this will sort that out.

• well, got the alignment done and wheels balanced and still wobbling, sometimes quite violently slowing from about 70-60 mph. Could the slack steering box cause this although it has always been slack or could a bit of play in a front bearing be an issue?:banghead:

• Zitat von huesey1974;89774

well, got the alignment done and wheels balanced and still wobbling, sometimes quite violently slowing from about 70-60 mph. Could the slack steering box cause this although it has always been slack or could a bit of play in a front bearing be an issue?:banghead:

That sound exactly like thrust arm bushings - if not warped brake discs. I assume the wobble is more pronounced under braking?

• Zitat von huesey1974;89709

... both front upper and lower control arms replaced ...

Usually the wheel wobble at around 60 mph is caused by the upper thrust arm bushes. It appears, however, that you've had these replaced. However, check that your mechanic tightened the bushes with the car on the gound and its weight even on the front wheels. This is VERY important, as otherwise the bushes will be over stressed and may cause the wheel wobbles as well as failing prematurely.

Otherwise, check the brake rotors (original BMW ones are balanced but not all aftermarket ones are) and the wheel/tiyre balancing. Hopefully, you do not have any oversize wheel hubs requiing centering rings.

The drop-links to the ant-roll bar have also sometimes been reported as a possible cause, but I would not imagine that the steering box would be responsible, unless the ties-rods are badly worn.

(Another possibility, although less likely, is that the thrust arms with bushes have been replaced with throse meant for an e32, which will have softer bushes. Usually, new arms come without bushes and the recommended replacment bushes are the solid rubber ones from the M5)

• Zitat von huesey1974;89777

Hi,
    It is worse under light braking, Just had new thrust arms fitted.Theres is defo some play when i pull the tyre at 3 and 12 oclock.

The steering box is designed to have quite noticeable play when off-centre. This is so that any adjustment to correct for play around the centre position will not cause it to lock-up at other positions.

• Hi Arnie,
    Yes they did tighten these under load and they came without bushes but did order 8 series specific ones.Also have new tie rods and links along with both lower arms.My wheels i believe have oversized hubs but are fitted with centering rings(talltonys old car) as for the rotors i believe they are in really good condition and have not been hammered(black diamond drilled and grooved discs).Everything seems to be brand new here.Could there be any possibility that the wheel bearings could cause this as it there defo is play. Its so annoying as it only started the day i was taking the car into get the work done, so thought after all the work was carried out it would be fine.:banghead:

• The normal hub-centric rings are usually under-sized on both the bore and the outer diameter. When I first fitted my replica's they would cause vibration and shimmy no matter how many times the wheels were balanced. I ended up doing this:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/w…alloys_to_the_BMW_E31.htm

• Right so i have decide to order new upper control arm bushes from pheonix motorsport, The bushes i ordered b4 were from ebay and were pretty cheap so i will try this first.Is it easy to get the old bushes out? No press required for the new ones though.If this doesnt work then i guess i will try new rotors. Did have the car jacked up today and checked for play in the bearings but seemed quiet and with no play, i wonder if the play i felt b4 could have been the mangled lower arm bush. Doing my head in right now because when driving on the motorway it drives superb and feels great and then you hit the brakes at a bout 50mph gently and it feels like the wheels are going to fall off.One day she shall be sorted.£2.5k in a year= ouch

Another thing, If my rotors were goosed or sticking caliper would i not feel it when braking no matter how hard or at what speed? Right now i it the steering wheel bounces around at about 50mph when braking gently but gets less the harder i brake.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!