Brembo calipers

• As part or renovating the front suspension of the car, I've now got around to the Brembo calipers. I noticed that on one of them the rubber seal around one of the larger pistons was partly off and unfortunately it's resulted in a small amount of corrosion on the edges of this piston. Nevertheless, it was quite easy to push the piston in, but I'm having problems pulling it out again. The other three move in quite easily and can be pulled out by levering on the recessed edge of the piston with a flat-bade screwdriver. However, this larger piston on the opposite side of the brake hose connection will not come out, no matter how hard I try to lever it with a very large screwdriver.

Is there perhaps some internal valve to prevent it coming back out without hydraulic pressure behind it?

I guess ultimately, I'll try again with the caliper mounted and reconnected, but just wondering whether anyone knows?

Also, it seems that these Brembo calipers are not really serviceable, is that right?

• These callipers are well known for the dust boots popping out of their retaining grooves. The OE pistons are alloy with a hard coating so once this surface is breached corrosion is inevitable. Even a slight amount of corrosion will cause the piston to stick. Best not to lever out the piston as damage to it or the calliper can result, reconnect it and push the pistons out using strips of wood between them and the disc. You can get replacement steel pistons which come with seals from brakeparts.co.uk. Carefully clean the dust boot grooves in the callipers to give the dust boots the best location. I re-painted my callipers and replaced the boots while the high temp paint was tacky.

• Thanks for the reply. It seems that the only way of getting that piston to come out again will be with hydraulic pressure. Then I'll be able to see how corroded it is. However, I'll first need to reconnect the ABS block, accumulator and other parts. Interesting that the replacement pistons are steel. They'll probably be even more likely to corrode. I also have the cross-over pipe quite bent on one caliper - presumably from some careless wheel refit- but I think this is available from the dealers.

• Just for interest, the UK dealer list price of new Brembos is now GBP 405 +VAT each.:harhar:

(Less any discount that you can negotiate.:grin2:)

I had thought that the e38 version would be the same, but their mounting fixture is different. :banghead: (A nearly-new set of these e38 versions was recently sold for 200 on the 'bay. Though, they may have been good for the pistons and other parts, perhaps even the outboard-half of caliper.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!