• Hi Angus, I had about three weeks back in UK one in August which was fantastic drove it everywhere and last fortnight at Christmas both occasions the weather was good so she had to come out of the garage :devilchilli: I will be back for a week in April so looking forward to re commissioning and starting her up!!

Thanks for the comments everyone it was a little nerve racking to say the least but what a great job done

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• wow, looks like a very involved job! That's one of the worst cases of rust i've seen on an 8 series. Glad you got it fixed!

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• Have similar issue on my 840, but not as severe and totally as a result of a botched winsdscreen replacement. Many if not all e31 around today, will at some point have had a windscreen replacement and you should check the condition of the metal under the rubber trim surrounding the screen. The channels under the rubber should be clean and clear for water to flow away. Mine had scratched paintwork and were blocked by too much mastic in some places (..none in others), trapping water and causing rust.

Also the two roof rail trims tend to vibrate and rub through the paint in the front corners, also causing rust from underneath.

Worth spending an afternoon to investigate your car.

• That's good advice from Arnie - I was very lucky in the fact that the rust was only on the outer skin - due to a replacement screen and scratches inside the rubber hence the remarkable eveness of the rust across the roof!!

The other worry with the repair was the screens themselves with no guarantees of extraction and re - fitting without breakage but it was completed sucessfully.

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Zitat von schnitz850;95942

Nice piccies....

Now... KEEP IT BLACK!!!!

Just kidding...

Nice car! It's really something about that black roof against dark blue:top: Are going to do some minor paintjob om my car. Also the roof. Can't see any reason why not to paint it black:mrgreen: Can I ask what colorcode you did use?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!