Aircon Compressor Fried

• I fried my aircon compressor today:help:

I wasn't aware of a problem driving down the motorway but when I pulled off and came to a stop at the exit roundabout, smoke started rising from the headlight apertures. I pulled over and gingerly pulled open the bonnet. The aircon belt was slipping around a seized aircon clutch pulley and at the point of going up in flames. The compressor and clutch were glowing!!

Fortunately I managed to borrow a long knife from a guy in a nearby Highway Maintenance depot and cut the belt and removed it so I could continue my journey. (Not sure why he had a long knife in his van??).

Anyone got a complete aircon compressor complete with pulley and magnetic clutch??

1999 840.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Rather stupidly I have been driving it around for some time with the compressor "grumbling" due to reduced gas in the system - I was intending to get it sorted at some time - lesson to be learnt on preventative maintenance!!!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Unbelievable - now the bearing in the aircon compressor on my 2001 BMW X5 (4.4i) is grumbling so that is going to need a replacement compressor BEFORE it seizes and causes the drive belt to fry! BMW must have bought a bad batch of compressors in 1999 to 2001...

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!