Help needed with cluster & connectors.

• As most of you know I've got a 1991 850i which needs a little bit of TLC to get it roadworthy.

My first of many questions is does anyone know what these two connectors belong to? Their location is just above the pedals (O/S) The smaller one of the two (white one) has dirty finger prints all over it and looks like its been removed from something. The bigger, blue one looks clean and doesnt look tampered with so it may not belong anywhere and was part of the loom when fitted :hmmmm:

If it helps I'm currently trying to sort out a problem with the instrument cluster as none of the dials or mileage is showing anything at all, I have tried to do the self test (by holding the trip while turning key) but so far nothing is showing up. Maybe one or both of these connectors are something to do with that? The seller did say he has had it tested and was working and possibly pointed in the direction of one of the microswitch's in the drivers door.

The cluster does light up with the different items such as indicators, ABS etc etc.

Anyone :help:

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Zitat von SmileitsMe;104312

Have you changed the Bulbs?
    There are 2* 12V 1,5Watt Bulbs ;)

Which bulbs? I'm not getting any readings on any of the dials or the mileage.

Thanks dudu, my only thought was the white one looks like its been connected in the past and is all dirty with finger prints

Wayne.

• wayneblackwell1000: The white connector is X121 and is only used on the M60/M62 840Ci with cruise control. It's purpose is to connect the brake pedal switch to the cruise control (tempomat) module. On the 850i/Ci/CSi it's not required because the cruise control is integrated in the EML (electronic throttle control).

The blue connector is somewhat of a mystery. The picture is vague, but it looks like a 12-pin connector. If your 1991 was built after June it could be connector X74. Is your car perhaps not equipped with an airbag (X74 normally connects to the SRS airbag module)?

Anyway, neither of these plugs is related to the instrument cluster. First make sure the instrument cluster is getting power. Check fuses F1 and F17 in the front power distribution box. If the fuses are okay, remove the instrument cluster and measure voltages over following pins of the 26-pin connector:

• 21 to 15: always 12 V
    • 23 to 15: 12 V as of ignition key position I.

If those are okay, the instrument cluster test should work. If it doesn't, I'm afraid it looks like a faulty instrument cluster.

• Zitat von revtor;104327

wayneblackwell1000: The white connector is X121 and is only used on the M60/M62 840Ci with cruise control. It's purpose is to connect the brake pedal switch to the cruise control (tempomat) module. On the 850i/Ci/CSi it's not required because the cruise control is integrated in the EML (electronic throttle control).

The blue connector is somewhat of a mystery. The picture is vague, but it looks like a 12-pin connector. If your 1991 was built after June it could be connector X74. Is your car perhaps not equipped with an airbag (X74 normally connects to the SRS airbag module)?

Anyway, neither of these plugs is related to the instrument cluster. First make sure the instrument cluster is getting power. Check fuses F1 and F17 in the front power distribution box. If the fuses are okay, remove the instrument cluster and measure voltages over following pins of the 26-pin connector:

• 21 to 15: always 12 V
    • 23 to 15: 12 V as of ignition key position I.

If those are okay, the instrument cluster test should work. If it doesn't, I'm afraid it looks like a faulty instrument cluster.

Many thanks for the reply, the car does not have any airbags so that solves that issue.
    I will update once I check fuses and voltages.

Thanks again

Wayne.

• Thanks arnie, I will have a look for the hvac unit. My car has the electric column but works perfectly so can't be that.

Wayne.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!