Webasto in a E31?

• Didn't someone say that they were running an extra alternator because of this heater? I thought the only 8's with the aux alternator were some japanese spec vehicles.

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• I agree that Webasto is a cool piece of kit. I have been searching also for similarly obscure OEM E31 Kit, you would be surprised what is out there, buried deep in the original German catalogues:

For example, I am quite sure none of you have OPTION 242-einzelne: BIER HELM

And equally I am convinced that I am the only 8er that has retro fitted OPTION 927-einzelne: Persönlichen Grill :driver:

• Zitat von CaifanSC;106330

Didn't someone say that they were running an extra alternator because of this heater? I thought the only 8's with the aux alternator were some japanese spec vehicles.

The small 30A addtnl. alternator indeed was installed ex-factory when S536 AUXILIARY HEATING was ordered. This makes sense to me owning a retrofit aux. heater in my E39 - what does it help to have a warmed up car if it won´t start anymore :laugh: After all the pumps live from battery juice only and something that helps charging the batteries quicker than usual seems indicated.

For Japan (J-spec) I do not find information about whether the addtnl. alternator was a standard item. The fact that it was found in one or some nevertheless is a strong indicator for it being a standard item since S536 was never available for Japan. Maybe the idea was that Japanese cars tend to sit in traffic jams more often and hence deplete the batteries quicker than the average ECE or US car.

A total of 1446 E31 came equipped with S536 AUXILIARY HEATING.
    S536 was unavailable for the following markets: USA, Canada, Japan, all RHD.

Here is the breakdown of where they went

S536 Aux. HeatingUnits
    Belgium21
    Denmark2
    France12
    Germany1130
    Italy34
    Scandinavia12
    Spain54
    Switzerland107
    Other74

S536 was available throughout the entire production period of the E31 - the 1st car equipped with aux. heating was CB00001 on Aug 29, 1989 and the last ones to leave Dingolfing with S536 were the last LHD M62´s on May 11 & 12, 1999, CC61720 (M62 Auto) and CC36110 (M62 6spd).

Unfortunately mostly due to the lack of use those systems tend to break down with BMW normally neither keen or able to attempt a fix rather than the standard R&R (here: Remove and Replace) methods.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von CaifanSC;106330

Didn't someone say that they were running an extra alternator because of this heater? I thought the only 8's with the aux alternator were some japanese spec vehicles.

The official installation instructions indeed say that an aux alternator is required. I used to have an E32 based ALPINA B12 with a WEBASTO unit installed and it had no aux generator but a small extra motorcycle battery in the trunk.

• Zitat von reinhard;106339

The small 30A addtnl. alternator indeed was installed ex-factory when S536 AUXILIARY HEATING was ordered. This makes sense to me owning a retrofit aux. heater in my E39 - what does it help to have a warmed up car if it won´t start anymore :laugh: ...........

I rather wait in a warm car for the tow truck than in an ice cold one :laugh:
    But wouldn't it make more sense to have more battery capacity instead as in E32 and also some other models? I used to have an E39-535i with the factory option installed and it also had only one alternator but a small extra battery.

• Zitat von wokke;106343

But wouldn't it make more sense to have more battery capacity instead as in E32 and also some other models?

I´d say so - must be isolated circuitry though. Bit difficult in the E31 as all space is taken :laugh:

Zitat

I used to have an E39-535i with the factory option installed and it also had only one alternator but a small extra battery.

Mine runs from the main battery and is not overly interested in leaving enough to start the car :rofl:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von wokke;106343

But wouldn't it make more sense to have more battery capacity instead as in E32 and also some other models?

:winkwink: Since you have a driving maschine and not a "standing in a basement collection 8er" it makes no difference.

:mrgreen: Und Du wirst ja die Heizung nicht über die ganze Nacht die Batterie leerlutschen lassen!
    Aber, weiss man's? :devilchilli:

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• My CSi have the S536 Aux. heating unit but I have never used it. :toothbrush:

I thought the second alternator was standard in a car with S536. :hmmmm:

Cheers

• Zitat von 8Harry8;106346

:winkwink: Since you have a driving maschine and not a "standing in a basement collection 8er" it makes no difference.

:mrgreen: Und Du wirst ja die Heizung nicht über die ganze Nacht die Batterie leerlutschen lassen!
    Aber, weiss man's? :devilchilli:

Most likely I'll use the system only once in a while to make sure it still works. :laugh:

• Mine has it as well and also the secound alternator is mounted , but just as you I have never tested it :harhar: , I do not dare to do it without a fire extinguisher close by :laugh:
    By the way you are missing the exhost tip on yours 64128351034

Regards
    Terje

• I mean....this kinda info is what I'm talking about :mrgreen: . Thanks Reinhard!

I'm surpriced to see only 2 of these systems in Sweeden? 12 in Scandinavia? I figured those countries would need that the most!

• Last Friday I mounted the heater unit itself and all the water hoses. The official install instructions were helpful, but could be a bit more precise IMO.
    It should for example state that the hose from the aux. water pump needs to be removed because a hose from the kit is going to be connected to it.
    And I'm glad there was no engine in the way !!!
    Otherwise you'd find the entire set in ebay right now :laugh:

• Zitat von wokke;106619

Hey Wolf, what is this piece mounted with a green bracket? I'm assuming is some sort of pressure valve? I was wondering if you can possibly get any part numbers or inscriptions in the body.

I'm reading the installation PDF but I"m not quite sure what connects to the hose that comes all the way from the bottom of this valve thing. Is it the coolant crossover from the back of the heads?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!