Windscreen seal/trim

• I have the dreaded rust around teh top corner of the windscreen which is letting in a bit of water when it rains.

I want to remove the side trims and if possible part of the rubber seal etc to better look at the underlying damage and try and do some sort of remedial repair whilst the weather is bad.

Am I able to prise the trim/seal off... and if so will I be able to put it back again?

Obviously it depends on the state of the parts but they are not in too bad shape. Im not sure how the seal to windscreen/body interface works.

Regards

Matt

• Matt
    At the top, push any slack in the seal up, and then roll it out from the top.
    It should go back in. It depends on whether it has previously been stuck in with Sikoflex during a screen replacement.

• Yes, if too much windscreen polymer bonding mastic was used, and the rubber trim replaced around the screen while the bonding mastic was still 'wet' it will have embedded it self into the excess mastic, leaving the edges of the mastic shaped to the profile of the rubber trim. In which case, it will be extremely difficult to get the rubber trim back in without first removing any excess mastic. There should be an unobstructed water-way channel beneath the rubber tim, down the sides of the windscreen. If this is blocked, water will get trapped and cause rust.

Also, if you play with the rubber trim 'seal' too much to try to make it fit, it will stretch and then not fit properly. You'll then neeed to let it rest a while.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!