Interesting general BMW discussion........

• I really like this line:

"8, for sure. Iconic-looking car, the 6 looks like one of those basking sharks that does nothing apart from waft lazily about syphoning up plankton."
  • Very interesting that two cars are compared which are about a decade apart, speaks volumes for the timeless appeal of the 8 series.

The discussion on values was also interesting, when I was looking there was a few cars around the 3K mark (which never seemed to sell) but the majority were 5K plus. But what surprised me most was the number of cars being broken for spares. That was until I discovered that some spares are no longer available and some of the parts prices from BMW are stupidly expensive.

It is a real shame that good cars are being broken because they are worth more in spare parts than they are as a whole. Surely BMW must know they are responsible for killing off their heritage?

It is not hard to understand that the people owning and maintaining the cars today are not the same people who could afford £60K plus in the 90’s It is a shame BMW don’t realise that and offer parts and sensible current market rates.

The one good thing about the low market values is that they are being bought by enthusiasts.

Long live the 8!

Phil

• I quite liked the fact that although the discussion is between all BMW enthusiasts, not just 8-Series guys, every one (the last time I looked) recommended the old E31 over the new 6-Series. Maybe THATS something BMW should look at!

• Zitat von philR;107390

......That was until I discovered that some spares are no longer available and some of the parts prices from BMW are stupidly expensive....
    Phil

Yes, but like most car companies, BMW is in the business of selling new cars and although a few parts are now NLA, most of the parts can still be bought new, some 14 years after the last 8 series rolled-off the production line and more than 22 years after the first. Many parts are of course expensive, but i don't think that there is a huge mark-up compared to equivalent parts for a current model. As pointed out, it's still a £60k+ car, and 15-20 years ago, that was a lot more money than £60k today. A Ferrari 348 of that era was only a little more.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!