Engine stops without any clear reason...

• Please, help...

My car is suffering from some strange behaviour since this Friday... The car started and ran for about 10 kilometers, but then, without any reason, the engine stopped , and it was not able to start again... After a few minutes the engine started, but then, after some time ( may be 6 minutes), the idle was erratic, then fine, then idling correctly, and then stopped again.... The engine starts sometimes, and some other ones not... When started, sometimes it is able to be running for minutes, and some other ones.. no.
    There is fuel smell at the car, so fuel pumps are working...and batteries are fully charged. Tried replacing both DMEs, with replacement ones i have, and same behaviour...

No registered errors at DIS...so, no idea about what can be happening....

Any clue ?

• :hmmmm: The only concrete clue I have is bad fuel and a tempoarily blocked fuel filter due to this - had it before at two cars, not a the 8 though...

But I remember diffusely to an issue some years before at an 8 that had bad connected... :banghead: ...what?
    Did you change any plugs recently?
    Reinhard, wasn't there something about the MAFs?

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• Hi.

No major changes at the car. ( latest was water hoses replacement a couple months ago ). The car has been running fine for the past months,... till Friday. Some other guys suggest to check for cracked fuses...

No CEL light, no Check Engine.. DIS OK... this is crazy !!!

Thanks

• Das Thema hatte ich auch schon. Der später herausgefundene Grund war, daß die Lichtmaschine nach dem Start und bei anschließend mäßiger Fahrtgeschwindigkeit, d.h. auch bei anhaltend niediger Drehzahl nur einen unterdurchschnittlichen Ladestrom von 11,5-12 V ablieferte, was zu besagtem Phänomen führte.
    Nachdem mir dieser Misstand durch aufrufen des entsprechenden Codes Nr 9 im Display aufgefallen war, hatte ich mir in der Folgezeit vorgenommen unmittelbar nach dem Start des Motors dessen Drehzahl einmal kurz auf 3000+ Upm zu bringen, was zur Folge hatte, daß ab diesem Zeitpunkt der Ladestrom sofort auf 13,88 V hoch ging und es zu keiner Fahrtunterbrechung mehr kam.
    Seit Austausch des Reglers der Lima gehört das Thema: "stehenbleiben auf offener Strecke" der Vergangenheit an.
    Ps: Ich fahre einen 850 ci mit M70 Motor Bj. 1993.

Gruß
    Carolus

• Have just found a clue... Look at the engine temp.... ( -19,6 ºC )

It is the same for 1..6 than for 7..12, so , wrong sensor or cabling issue at the sensor sending the temp signal to the DMEs... ( 13 62 1 707 366 )..
    EML temp is correct...

• Zitat von gwen22;107730

WOW 12.18 is really low...

Well, the engine was not running at that time...
    Anyway, i have verified ( and replaced ) the "hidden fuse" and also verified that the cabling ( from / to temp sensor and DME ) is ok... Also tested with a new DMEs temp sensor and it is OK now...but, after reviewing the stored error messages for DME2, it looks like a Crankshaft engine speed sensor happened in the past... Thanks to one member of our club ( thanks Ander :top: ) i have a spare set of them that will be replaced tomorrow.

( This error seemed to appear after a test made a couple days ago, when tried to start the car to check if the car was able to start when really cold... )

• DMEs temp sensor replaced ( as it was sending an incorrect engine temp ) .... also both crankshaft speed sensors...

Now car is running like a charm...

Thanks for your support on this, guys.

• Zitat von dudu;108296

DMEs temp sensor replaced ( as it was sending an incorrect engine temp ) .... also both crankshaft speed sensors...

Now car is running like a charm...

Thanks for your support on this, guys.

Congratulation dudu.
    BTW, I replaced this magic fuse with one from VW. Was a 1:1 fit but the fuse is in a nice thick plastic housing.
    Unfortunately I have no part# nor a picture but if needed I should be able to get both.

Cheers
    Wolf

P.S. On a side note: How many folks from Spain are coming to Vienna? ;)

• Hi Wolf.

Not sure about how many of us will be attending to Vienna ( if any ). I will post into our site with some links to several references at 8er.

Cheers.
    Edu.

PD: BTW... i got the fuse from the BMW dealer with no issues at all ( at stock ). Thanks for the info about the VW one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!