Steering Gearbox Teflon seals

• Hi all. It seems the factory seal kit 32131134768 doesn't come with the PTFE (Teflon) oil seals. Does anybody know where I could source the seals or a kit that includes those parts? Those seals are white-greyish in color and are rectangular/square in cross section. The factory kits only include the rubber O-rings. Any help would be appreciated.

• I would suggest that you should try the larger bearing resellers there. They usually can find any seal or someone who makes the type you are looking for.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• My German BMW dealer has asked BMW HQ parts division:
    Ursache
    Wir finden keine Dichtungen für die Lenkung.
    Maßnahme
    Die Abdichtung durch Reparatur ist nicht vorgesehen, da hierdurch, Aufgrund der Passgenauigkeit nur kurzfristig ein Erfolg erzielt werden kann.
    --------------------
    brief translation:
    cause
    We find no seals for the steering.
    measure
    Sealing by repair is not provided as this, due to the fit only a short-term success can be achieved
    ---------------------------------------
    But as I already told you before, there is no need to replace these, we have meanwhile repaired several steering gears and never had to replace these. In worst case we would have taken these out of another use steering gear.
    I suggest you use some liquid seal in the area of the housing where the long bolts go thru.

• I have got similar response from ZF. However I'm not buying their excuses. It is true it is difficult to maintain quality of reco work in the marketplace, however its just a plain lie to say it cant be done. Case in point - our General Modules - BMW would have you (AND their mechs) to just do R&R. however we all know its just dud capacitors.

Anyway, I could go on.... BUT

I found the E31 gasket kit (still available) together with the E24 kit (called the repair kit) will give you every seal, including the teflons (some excess ones would obviously be of the wrong sizes). You do have to buy a couple more shaft seals (standard size from a good seals dealer, I am not going to cheap out here and am using viton). I also have the sizes for new INA shaft bearings.....

In conclusion - unless you actually have metal damage, a FULL rebuild of the E31 steering gear is ENTIRELY possible.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!