Trim Removal

• I guess everyone overlooked the question in my last post.

Does the side trim just pull off and clip back or is there a technique for removing it. It is very expensive to replace so I do not want to damage it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Graham

• Hey Graham .

Yes the trim on rear fender and doors is just clip on/off. On the front fender, (next to the door) i am not sure... but i think it's the same.
    And i think the quality on the clip's are good , i removed four of them without breaking any of the clips:top:

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• Zitat von TERMINATOR;109993

Hey Graham .

Yes the trim on rear fender and doors is just clip on/off. On the front fender, (next to the door) i am not sure... but i think it's the same.
    And i think the quality on the clip's are good , i removed four of them without breaking any of the clips:top:

Many thanks for the confirmation. I shall try it very carefully.

PS. Your car really is terrific and a credit to your resourcefulness.

• Just to be sure: the door trim panels have 3 Screws. One behind the door opener and two behind the inner door handle.
    With the later: be careful when you unscrew them, the two screws can fall between the inner and outer board and it's a pain to shake them in position again.
    One way to avoid this is to unscrew them carefully and then use some sort of a plug (piece of newspaper) to keep them in place.
    Magnetic screwdriver is not much help as the leather is thick and therefore the outer wholes are too small to get the screws out completely . :banghead:

The top edge of the board is held by metal clips. Don't bend the board upward too much because the clips will tear out the soft board and your board won't fit anymore.
    Unclip all the clips on the lower edge and on the sides, then pull it off towards you.

Do you mean the front plastic cover in the footwell?
    There are three 90° plastic turn clips there (I have no idea how they are called...)
    Two on the side and one on the top of the cover.
    Due to the carpet, it seats very firm in place, so it takes some pulling to get it out.
    First remove the plastic cover on top of the carpet though.

Sorry, if I mentioned things which were clear but the parts are old and some break easy...

Cheers,
    Steve

• Zitat von TERMINATOR;109993

On the front fender, (next to the door) i am not sure... but i think it's the same.

I just realised you don't have them on your front fender:hmmmm:. How did you manage this? It looks very slick.

Steve,

Many thanks for the response but my question was slightly misleading as it was the exterior trim I was concerned about. I have just had a go and they pop off easily by gently twisting a plastic trim removal tool. It is amazing what 22 years of grime and old polish looks like.

Cheers
    Graham

• They where twisted and started to loosen , so i removed them all..
    I then used fiberglass filler to smooth it out. Yes it looks slick! But i didn't do it properly, (should have used fiberglass) so it has started to crack a little..:oops:
    I will buy new rubber trim for the fenders and hood/bonnet, then put it back to stock.
    Also, it's not practical to have it like this, now i can't remove the noose if needed:sad:

But are you thinking of loosen these? They are not clip on from the outside like the others.. I'm not sure, (someone can correct me if i'm wrong) But i think you need to remove the fender or the noose to loosen them correctly.

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• Zitat von TERMINATOR;110029

They are not clip on from the outside like the others.. I'm not sure, (someone can correct me if i'm wrong) But i think you need to remove the fender or the noose to loosen them correctly.

Yes, I think this is correct, I remember reading it somewhere. I am only going to remove the trim between the wheels.

• Zitat von Nifty50;110026

Steve,

Many thanks for the response but my question was slightly misleading as it was the exterior trim I was concerned about.

Cheers
    Graham

Sorry:oops:
    Altough I'm working for GM and have to speak English I'm still confused all the time by car part names... :laugh:

Cheers,
    Steve

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!