850CSI clutch slave sylinder bleeding issues.

• I was planning to replace the brake fluid and at the same time bleed the slave sylinder for the clutch as I expected this to contain OLD fluid.
    And it did , it was looking messy and i pumped the pedal to get it out.

BUT it seems not to refill the master sylinder with fluid and now it's only air coming out :banghead:, Is there a separate fluid container for the clutch??:hmmmm:
    No way i can find one and I expected it to be using the Brake fluid resorvoir to refill ( this seems to be still at the same level )

Anyone??

Regards
    Terje

• Terminator: no it's not possible to see anything back there :laugh: , it's completely stuffed with different hoses and things.

Reinhard , Yes seems like others have experieced this to be tricky , guess pressure from above and then bleed might be the way to go , but will try a secound attemt topping the resovoair but do not expect that to make any difference.
    One thing I noticed are that the treads on the bleeding screw it pretty loose , so i am wondering if air get's back in due to that?

If you are bored just do something with your 8 :laugh:

Regards
    Terje

• You´ve done the right thing though. I assume that in 90+% of all cases upon brake fluid change the one in the clutch cylinder is not replaced. Eventually it might lead to other more annoying problems and you´ve learned something others may find useful ;)

Rock on :rock:
    Reinhard

• You will probably never get the air out using only the clutch pedal. I disconnected the hose on the break fluid reservoir , then filled a bottle with break fluid and pressed it through. But if you can't find that hose , that is not a option for you...
    I have heard people doing this: open the bleeding nipple on the left break caliper , connect a hose on it, put the other end on the slave sylinder nipple. And pump the fluid through with the break pedal.

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• Finally made it , but not sure what made the trick

I used tread tape on the slave cylinder nipple to prevent air being sucked back in as this nipple was really loose in the hole after just 90deg turn.
    when the nipple was out there was running fluid out and new clean fluid so it for sure got fluid
    pumped the pedal many times until good amount came out and pedal got better , but still would not come all the way back by itself.

Then I got help from a second person and I open and closed the nipple while she was pumping the pedal.
    It got better but still not perfect so I closed the nipple and pushed the pedal back in and hold it there some seconds and every time it seemed to be a bit better than before so after a few more times like this the pedal out by itself and think it must have let air out in the resovoir.
    But still a bit soft so I went for a drive and now it feels just like before after some usage so think air travels up and it will work as long as there is not too much air in the system.

I remember replacing a master cylinder on an E30 many years back and there it was just pumping the pedal and every time air bubbles came up in the reservoir until it was fine.

Terminator: this I think could actually work :top: I have heard people doing this: open the bleeding nipple on the left break caliper , connect a hose on it, put the other end on the slave sylinder nipple. And pump the fluid through with the break pedal.

But best is probably to use a pressurized brake bleader for this next time, sorry to say I can't give a good DIY in this case

Regards
    Terje

• Yes, with the right tools the job is no big deal, but sometimes you have to work with what you got:grin2:
    Glad it worked out for you, after a little struggle.. I didn't expect anything else:harhar:

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• Zitat von huldra66;109996

....Is there a separate fluid container for the clutch??:hmmmm:
    Terje

I see you 've sorted the problem, but - at least for the UK-model CSi- there is a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid.

• Zitat von arnie;112263

I see you 've sorted the problem, but - at least for the UK-model CSi- there is a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid.

Yes that puzzeled me a bit when i looked at some pix , but mine takes the fluid from the brake resovoir

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!