Where to purcahse a power steering pump on the way out.

• If I am not mistaken one can open and close mixing flaps via DIS and/or INPA. Maybe this way the noise can be provoked at will.
    As I wrote before we also have a noise coming from that direction in similar circumstances only much less annoying. When in the car and the trip has started I am always reminded to check where it comes from but then you drive... and forget... until it reappears as soon as you turn off the engine. Too late :harhar:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• For what it's worth the noise only starts when car is in gear and being driven for one minute ie. if you start the ignition and let the car idle in N or D the noise doesn't appear ....only when in motion but immediately the ignition is turned off it makes the noise again both times for about 5 seconds

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    1995 factory CSi sport kit
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

• Hi all. For the past few months, on start up from cold and off, there would be a whining sound coming from behind the dash /power steering area. I checked the power steering fluid level and it seemed fine.

Then the other day suddenly the brake pedal did not respond to quick movements. This lead to a heart stopping moment as I tried and brake hard/emergency stop, and the pedal was hard and unresponsive. After a split second the pedal suddenly came on. Hard.

My garage said to replace the brake bomb and so I did and that whining sound with a hint of grinding sound coming from beind the power steering dash area has GONE !

My garage also said that since all E31s are fitted with hydraulic servos which require high pressure CHF to operate and brake safely that this pressure is produced by an engine attached hydraulic pump and that was what was causing the noise, since the pump was not fully charging the system.

Anyway the brakes are now good and the NOISE gone.

Thanks for all your suggestions !

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

• Zitat von Richard.H;113766

Anyway the brakes are now good and the NOISE gone.

I do like to learn new correlations - also congrats for ridding yourself of that noise AND your suddenly appearing brake problem.

The analysis of your workshop re the bomb was spot on.

Although I do not see how that malfunction would provoke any noise (many bombs have failed over 20 yrs and no one ever reporting anything similar) there is that pressure regulator next in line to the brake bomb not too far away from the firewall - indicated below.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/24454/

This may possibly transport noises within the brake system (from wherever they might come, even a farting old bladder ;) towards the cabin. Only you reported it from the driver side... :roll:

Anyway...shall keep this in mind once our bomb goes out and see whether our less intruding noise goes away too.

Thanks for reporting back!
    Reinhard

• Thanks Reinhard.
    the noise WAS from the RHS (Drivers side...yes) the garage mechanic said the noise was transmitted up.
    He said this is also because most of the time the noise is from the pump activation portion.

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!