• Nick - SHAME on You! You are the owner of a very rare and superbly designed, timeless masterpiece and you are letting it sit and deteriorate without a care or respect for the design work that went into it. If you have a chance get hold of the CD film that takes you through the original design process, with designers' first graphics and the clay model sculpturing - then consider that they realised it in a production car that remains true to its original concept - now consider that you are diffidently ignoring all the invested dreams and aspirations of that original design team. How would they feel, knowing that you let it languish like a couch potato - desperate for exercise to stretch its muscles and demonstrate its prowess!

However, I too do not drive mine over the winter months - I keep it garaged and tickle and tease with little projects and plan bigger jobs, ready to undertake when the funds permit. On the list is a rebuild of the front four-pot brembo calipers; try to source decent braided flexible brake hoses; the dreaded replacement of the fuel lines (this was an advisory on the last MOT), a strut brace from Engl and a new full stainless exhaust with fast-flow 200 cell cats. I had it resprayed and the wheels refurbished this year.

I do find it sad that this forum has all but died and was delighted to see your post - at last a contribution from the UK! We were going to take my car over to Alsace this summer, but then the migrant crisis kicked-off at the Channel Tunnel and we decided not to go - I didn't fancy stowing the car in a ferry. So, we will plan to go over to Europe in 2016!

SO, Nick - get the car in fine fettle and ready for serious driving after the winter.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• I have brought shame on myself and my family. There is only one solution and that's sort this sorry state of affairs out and get my beautiful car back on the road.

Thank you for the verbal kicking Angus. Anyone else fancy a pop? Come on, I deserve and need it.

• You just had to drag me out of hibernation didn't you!

I hope you are wincing from Angus's thoroughly deserved berating and I have only one thing to say to you. Who was it that brought me back from the brink after many dark thoughts!!

Behave yourself and get on with it. Time and tide wait for no man.

This has just come on the market and the chap wants only small change from £35K.

http://www.cariconics.com/our-cars/bmw-850csi/

• Andre, your physical threats have motivated me, thank you.

Graham you old dog, I'm so glad you're still part of the crew.

I have no choice now, I have to do the right thing. I will see you all at Gaydon this year and my car will be with me. (possibly on a low loader).

• Yes Andre, I still pop in every few days, but my German is poor (the majority of posts). I can't understand why it has gone so quiet here. That 850 CSI looks tempting Graham - but I don't think I could convince the better 'arf that it was money wisely spent :kiss: despite my best efforts!

Has anyone fitted a front upper suspension strut brace? I wondered if you can tell the difference when one is fitted? I've fitted the CSI anti-roll bars and that is keeping it very flat in the corners, plus the LSD diff makes the car steer very tightly if you accelerate through a bend. Looking forward to the better weather to get back on the road again.:top:

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Hi All,

Angus, you asked about brake hoses earlier. I (Munich Legends actually) replaced my hoses earlier this year with Goodrich stainless steel hoses: goodridge.brakes-hoses-fittings.co.uk/car-brake-lines/bmw-8-series.html , for no other reason than they are a top end brand and competitively priced. The set of 4 was only double the price of one rubber hose from BMW, so bit of a no brainer.

I was also given an advisory last year about corroded fuel lines so whilst at Munich Legends I got them to check and quote. The best news was that they weren't corroded; it was only the breather pipe that was showing some signs. When I passed on the advise at the MOT this year they just passed it, so well worth a second opinion.

Best upgrade I have ever done was to fit Wokkes upper control arms back in August. About an hours work and the difference to the steering is fantastic. Wokke also does an X-brace that will stiffen the entire front end. Personally I wasn't looking for this as I never drive the car really hard and didn't think I would feel any benefit but might be what you are looking for.

Nick, now you have your MoJo back, when are we going to start seeing some pictures:grin2:

Best wishes guys

Graham

• Well... despite me being motivated, time is not my friend so I have given up and I'm sending the car to DMWorx in Aylesbury where it will stay until MoT'd. I tried to fix some things the other day when I discovered that the brakes had completely failed (pedal to floor with whoosing sound under the bonnet), this was the last straw. It's being picked up by trailer next week. I have used DMWorx once before and I believe they have some reasonable knowledge when it comes to the e31. It's not too late to change though, so if anyone knows a better place that is reasonably local to me in St Albans please let me know.

I feel better now I'm finally doing something that will result in the car back on the road, although probably with me being considerably worse off.

• My car was towed off this afternoon. After much procrastination it's going to get fixed. Just waiting for the bad news call from the mechanic tomorrow.

• Hi Nick
    Keep us posted on progress - hope its not going to be too expensive for fixing. I've booked my car in for a full respray in July and new stainless exhaust with fast-flow CATS. Looking forward to driving it when done.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Hi Angus and all (I think it might just be the two of us :kiss:) . I got the first feedback today... The rear brake lines have rotted through, hence the no brakes. It's not great news as I think it means the fuel tank needs to come out, but I knew they were really corroded so I guess it needed to happen anyway. He wasn't too complimentary about my poor car generally, and the fuel lines also need replacing but I'm staying positive. There's no way I'm going to let the car die, but I also don't want these guys treating me as their pension plan.

• Oh dear, sounds a tad expensive - however, I am pleased to hear you can still get these parts!..I make it an annual job to wire-brush all lines and hand coat them in grease and spraying waxoyl on them where I can't get my hand to them. Let us know how you get on.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• So I finally got to talk through the work with Russell from DMWorx. He's just bought an 840 and I nice bloke so I think I've made a good choice of garage. The underside of the car is a real mess, but I'm not put off. The brake lines and fuel lines are all completely shot so they will be replaced. The rear suspension is not pretty either, so while the rear subframe is off the rear end is going to be sorted. I'm buying all the bits from Wolf, and getting any remaining bits power coated. Scope creep is a real issue, but I want to make the car great again (I sound like Donald Trump) so I want to do each bit in turn to minimise the financial misery. The front suspension is all new, and the engine is in good shape as I've already replaced most of the normal failing parts. After the rear end fix, the next plan is full respray. I better warn the wife that it's beans from now on.

• So after a while waiting at the garage for the tech to have some time the rear subframe is off.

Before
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/33015/

After
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/33016/

I've ordered all the suspension parts from Wolf so all I need now are fuel lines. I'm off to get ripped off by BMW.

You can see from the before pic that it's not pretty under there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!