• This is a difficult question to answer at the moment as the car is stuck at the back of the barn on axle stands.
    I remember from last time that the car would initially drive and then go into trans fail safe and to move the car you would have to rev it almost to death to move it.

I found this out after taking it up the lane and getting caught out halfway up and having to limp the car home.

• We need to decide whether you have a mechanical gearbox fault, or an electronic fault. The usual clues can be found with diagnostics - or, a mechanical fault uses causes the box to 'slip' and then clout in to 4th gear with a bang as it goes in the Trans Failsafe.

Can you get diagnostics done, or possibly a bit more information on the symptoms you came across.

• I'll get it off the axle stands, move the other cars, and take it for a trip up the road and see if I can shed any light on the symptoms.

As for diagnostics, I have the software and leads with my laptop but it shows an initialising failure and will not talk to the car.

• Today I managed to get the car out from the back of the garage, well that is to say I started it, put it into reverse, revved it hard and it just about moved. After another 30sec and hard revving I just got a beep and it went into trans fail safe. There was no clunk and unless I revved it to death it would not move. especially when the error message came on.

• That's obviously not good news, the replacement gearbox isn't in good fettle. The only hope is that the gearbox is low on fluid, otherwise it is probably a failure of the valve body non-return ball or a clutch-pack failure. Sorry, not good news.

• That's not what I wanted to hear.
    Maybe I will check the fluid level first, if this is OK then I may be able to make one good gearbox from the two as the only problem with the original 'box was I couldn't engage reverse.

• I checked the fluid level and it was a bit low. After topping it up the whole dynamic changed. Now instead of the car ticking over and the fail safe message only coming on when it is revved hard, it comes on immediately.

The car leaps forward when I the cars revs drop after being revved up. It seems to engage reverse the same way. It then stays in gear and moves quite well. I have got a quote for an overhaul kit from a place in Hayes Middx.

I might give this a go as I have 2 spare ones lying around ( one is for a 540 ).

• Yes all the gears work after revving the engine. It seems to engage as the revs drop and then it moves, but it jumps. Once engaged they work ok but the fault message is displayed instantly.

• Sorry to hear of your gearbox problems. it would seem, from what you've written, that it's a problem with the actual gearbox. However, have you checked the throttle-position sensor? This links with the gearbox and I had an issue where it was faulty and indicating intermittently 100%, which would put the gearbox in Transfailsafe mode, as it could not work out what the engine was doing (gearbox RPM did not match throttle position). If you can get even a cheap Carsoft clone diagnostic interface, that can tel you quite a lot about what the gearbox is doing.

• Thanks for that Arnie. I do have a carsoft system and interface but it will not communicate with the car. I will have a look at the spare gearbox I have and overhaul that. When this is done I know the mechanical side of the box is fine and I can be certain it is an electrical/ software issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!