Long term storage of an 850

• There is something at the back of my head saying dont do it . Last year car was in storage in a bubble with a ctek charger attached . One thing I wasnt informed of was for some stupid reason that they decided to cut the power

• :banghead:

2 flat batteries later I want to keep the car where it is as its local but I am not going to fit new batteries for them to go flat , so what I intended on doing was keep the batteries at home maintained and fit them when I want to use the car .

Anyone see a problem with this ?

Rob

• I'm doing the same. Charge them once or twice in the winter and they smile at me with their green eyes when I instal them at spring. :)
    Is the place where you keep your car safe?
    I leave the driver's door window lowered a bit and put a rag in the boot locking and lower the boot lid carefully. (Car needs to be covered though, so no dust enters the cabin through the window.)
    It spares the hassle of opening the boot manually with the key. (Which is a pain if you have a license plate mounted camera which covers the keyhole slightly...) You also have access to the interior or the Engine bay without torturing the window seal.

Cheers
    Steve

• Well, I find it much more of a hassle to remove the battery from behind the CD changer (if installed) than just removing the common ground at the start of hibernation. Fully charged batteries for me have lasted more than a year this way retaining enough juice to get the car running again. Never lost a battery due to a failing/unplugged trickle charger and also never due to forgetting to charge at all.
    Steve´s camera eye is indeed troublesome but normally I´d just lock the car, unplug the common ground of the batteries, slam the boot lid shut and come back ... after a long while... to find everything in good working order ;)
    That is for batteries installed in the car.

In Rob´s case I´d not even buy new ones before the idea has ripened to wake up the car. One will be enough to get the car running anyway.
    Rob probably fears for problems to arise with the car off the juice for a long time: yes and no.
    Not generally but induced by old age dried out capacitors can fail upon charging if completely discharged. Has not happened to me so far but there are "reports", rather rumours, of the instrument cluster playing up after a prolonged period of being off the mains.

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• Hi Rob,

We never take the batteries out, just disconnect both negative terminals and tuck the cable safely to the side. When winter is over connect the cables again and
    brum brum!!:driver:

Susie:cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!