need help with fuel pump

• After years of letting my 8 series just sit on the drive after a leak from the gearbox me and my mechanic mate tried firing her up again. Fully charged batteries and tried starting her up but to no avail! She cranks but doesn't fire... Mechanic checked obvious things and led to fuel pump not working. Basically he says the pump is seized.

So I phone bmw and get told replacement pump is £549 + VAT!!!!!! :banghead:

I can't afford that especially knowing I still have the front end of the car to repair as well as the leak from the gearbox!

My question is, Is there any other fuel pump that is similar or uprated fuel pump I could use instead like Walbro etc?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

• Hold on. This a 840 or 850?

850 has two pumps, one for each cylinder bank.

there are numerous things that can cause the pumps not to start on the v12.
    1. Hidden fuse is broken. 2" from the battery under some heatshrink is an 80A fuse that breaks due to metal fatigue. This will result is now power to the pumps.
    2. Check fuses in the fusebox first of all, look at the list on the fuse box cover, should be between fuse 20 and 25 if memory serves me right. Two fuses, one for each pump. These are powered by relays, which power is controlled by the hidden fuse.
    3. crank shaft sensors. These are located in the 2 and 5 o'clock postion on the small flywheel at the front of the engine, the one that looks like a big gear. These sensors gives pulses to the engine DME, which then triggers the relays powering the fuel pumps. No pulses, no fuel.

then there is always a chance the relays have seized or failed.

On the v12 when you crank, it gets no fuel before the DME senses the pulses from the crank sensors, then it starts the pumps, hence the somewhat unique startup sound of the V12.
    putting the key in position 2 will not provide power to the pumps as on most other cars.

I would locate the fuel pump fuses, pull them, and measure the voltage while cranking, if you have power to both pumps, then I would start to look at the pumps, if not, the list is above.

not questioning your mechanic friend, but these cars are somewhat special, and normal troubleshooting does not always apply.

if you have a v8, this will not apply and I cant help you.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• On the V8 the pump is running for a short time (1-2 Seconds) when you switch the ignition to position 2.
    It can be clearly heard when the passenger side rear seat is removed.
    The pump is a combination of a pump and a fuel level sensor in a plastic frame.
    The pump is kept in place by some rubber mountings. I have not dared to test how to remove them as I don't know how brittle the frame is after 17 years but it looks doable.
    Unfortunately BMW doesn't sell the pump alone but there is a Bosch fuel pump which according to Bosch fits.
    It has the Bosch number 0580314069 and costs around 200 Euros.

Cheers,
    Steve

Correction: I found the pump for as low as 166 Euros in Germany. LINK

• Thanks for the input guys. I should made things a little clearer. Its a 1998 840ci so v8. checked crank sensor and seems fine. Also checked all fuses and relays including the hidden one in the boot. Checked power to the pump and it is getting power...

Ripped out the pump and tried running it from terminals and it thuds stuck as if seized...

Steve you're a gent mate. Will look for this bosch fuel pump. I think the pump looks like it can be removed carefully from the plastic frame so will try that first. Worst case scenario It breaks then I'll have to just order one from the stealers!

Just phoned around using that bosch part no. and can't seem to get one in uk! damn!!!!!!!

• It's certainly worth a go seeing the saving you can make. The 540i and 740i V8's obviously have the same fuel-demand requirements as the 840ci - whether is physically fits is another question.

• Thanks Timm I think i'll give it a shot. If it works I'll reprt back so hopefully help fellow 8er owners if their pump fails. P.S. Timm must thank you for meek.net. Helped me enormously when trying to find what was at fault with my car.

Thank you.

• After contacting MAPCO and having no response on dimensions of the pump I started looking elsewhere. Found this guide on bimmerforums for a v8 840.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…0Ci-Fuel-Pump-Replacement

Very usefully it included a link to a U.S. supplier who confirms their pump will fit the 840 BMW as a direct fit. Have ordered from them and await delivery. Below is a link to the part if anyone gets into a similar situation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-…ories&hash=item5893e001c5

update 22/07/14. The fuel pump arrived from U.S. yesterday. fitted it with no problems and really was a direct fit.

Cranked car and she fired up straight away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!