Practical question about collecting/ moving E31

• Hi guys,
    it was bound to happen sometime, but after 3 years of a charmed life with my 840, yesterday the car developed a fault as I was driving up a long hill in traffic. First time ever its let me down and I fear the worst..
    I have some questions about the fault of course, (those will follow later) but right now my question is a more practical one. The car needs to be retrieved / collected, but is parked on an incline (not severe but still: an incline) and a tow-truck won't be able to get in front of it, merely alongside it. There is some room in front of my car, but not much. There is no room behind my car as other cars are parked behind.
    I am not sure if modern tow trucks have 'lift / grab' capability, BUT:
    If they want to tow the car out into the middle of the road, (in order to mount it onto their truck) what is the safest/ best way for them to do this?
    Is there a totally safe way of pulling my car out, considering they will only have restricted access from alongside the 8??
    Thanks in advance
    Questions about the actual fault will follow asap.

• If in Munich in a restricted parking zone your car´d be gone within 5 minutes and you not even noticing no matter how much you tried to wedge it in. Up, up and away ;)
    Just give your preferred roadside assistance a call and tell them it needs to be lifted out.
    Now... to the real problems... what is it? Ran out of juice? ;)

Fingers crossed!
    Reinhard

• Thanks for reply Reinhard but even if it is the AA/ RAC collecting the vehicle, I want to ensure they are towing the car correctly whilst removing it from the parking place. But the only AA cover I have is via my bank account 'features' and it isn't "take home" level cover.
    So its likely a contact of mine will collect the car. He has a flatbed and a winch, but wouldn't be able to lift the car on board. winching will be the method.
    Any chance of illuminating me on the best way for him to attach his cable thing to the front of my car to safely pull it onto the carrier?

• You should have a tow hook in your Tool compartment. This can be screwed in somewhere in the front of the car. Don't know the exact location as I never used it.
    Then turn the wheels outward and pull the car out on to the street. Then reposition the tow truck and pull straight on.
    Without the hook, will be difficult as all the plastic parts are lower then a suitable point on a frame under the car.
    I guess the hook is standardized if you don't have one.
    Good luck!
    Steve

• Thank you Steve!
    I remember the tow hook from my toolbox, if anyone can confirm location of where to screw it, otherwise i will spot it probably. But at least I know theres a dedicated bracket etc, which I wasn't sure of when i posted this morning, as the car is a mile up the hill :(
    Thanks again

• Zitat von reinhard;121712

If in Munich in a restricted parking zone your car´d be gone within 5 minutes

Same here in London Reinhard!
    I was incredibly lucky where it happened - somewhat of a 'Millionaires Avenue' and literally the only street I can think of, for miles around, that has no restrictions for parking at all!

• You should still be able to drive the car if it has selected 4th gear in Trans Fail mode - it's a bit sluggish off the line but perfectly driveable.

• Damn, my tow hook now missing from toolbox and i know it was there previously.
    wondering if the generic bmw tow hook from older Series cars will fit as i need one off eBay, unless I risk a further break down in a more awkward location by driving the car to sanctuary in 4th gear..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!