Window drop!

• Hello All,

My drivers side window doesn't always know when the door is open or closed! It ALWAYS drop when operating either or inside handle, but when the door is left open it sometimes decides that the door is closed and pops up. I have to then operate one of the door-handles to drop the window. I checked some articles regards this on the sites awhile back, but have been unable to re-find them. My 'activity' section on this site appears to have been wiped (haven't been on for ages) so I cannot refer to some replies I did get when I last asked the question. I have taken the door card off and given everything I can get to a good clean and spray, but to no avail. I cannot really work out where the actual 'switch' is that senses whether or not the door is closed, so don't really know where to start in trying to fix this??? Is the thingymajiggy in the attached photo anything to do with this?
    Help/guidance appreciated...

• You posted in the "Meeting" section.

To access the forum press the button Forum (top left) and scroll down to the area of interest e.g. here

To perform a search with "Window drop" use the field top right and press the search button next to it.
    Your old posting dated Sep 2011 is here

You need to locate the micro switch #4. The picture you took shows the actuator #11 for the central locking which is part of the lock assy.
    The micro switches #4, #5 are also attached to the lock assy #1.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/28389/

It is likely best to remove the entire lock assy (two screws from outside) to get to the switches proper.

Regards
    Reinhard

• Hello,

I have had time to remove the door handle. The micro switches, one which is triggered by the outside handle (photo 1), and one which is triggered by the inside handle (photo 2) seem to be in good condition, and when activated drop the window as they should. However after a count of 4 or so seconds, the window pops up again regardless of the door being open! Unlike before I took everything apart, this is now happening ALL the time. So...
    1) both inner and outer handles when operated drop the window as they should.
    2) the window then always pops up after a few seconds as if the door is closed.

What apparatus determines whether or not the door is open or closed? I will need to obviously look at that. Any help/guidance appreciated.

Regards,

Ivan

• Some years ago I had a problem with my passenger side window.
    Sometimes it just dropped suddenly while driving. Other times it did not lowered when I grabbed the handle.
    First i suspected the micro switches but I had to rule them out as they were in perfect order.
    Then I replaced the door module (the unit controlling the door functions) and all problems were sold.
    I would take a look at that. It sits on the front lower part of the door.
    Unfortunately driver and passenger modules are not the same.
    I used a used one from a salvage car.

Cheers,
    Steve

• As far as I remember the status of each micro switch can be checked through DIS/INPA and might give a hint. Since both switches for the window drop feature work OK I´d say the 3rd one is the culprit. #5 on the parts catalogue drawing if memory does not betray me is very close to #4 e.g. on the same actuator assy.
    Athough I remember only one failed micro switch it´d not be a first either.

Reinhard

• Thanks Reinhard/Steve.
    I'm wondering how the third switch (which I still need to find) would know that the door has been closed. I'd think that it would be activated by the movement of the latch once the door is closed. Looks like I'm going to have to disassemble that which I'm not looking forward to. If anyone knows of a door module for drivers door on a LHD car, I'd appreciate a nod. At the right price it'll maybe be worth just changing that rather than disassembling the door latch and looking for something that I don't know what I'm looking for?

Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• It is not that difficult to take apart ;) You´ll just need to undo the two or three screws from the outside and have a good looksie around in the inside where it might become a little fiddly. We´ve done this before - no miracle workers required. Once you hold the assy in your hand you will spot the 2nd micro switch immediately.
    Those micro switches unfortunately are rather expensive and there is nothing to take apart & clean. Ea. @ 35 EUR (ca. 28 GBP)

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hello All,

Thanks for the 'kick up the backside' Reinhard. Sometimes you just need to attack stuff. As you said, not that difficult to take the latch mechanism out, but yes fiddly to extract the 3rd micro-switch. Have found the third micro-switch (see first photo). When I press it in i.e. door closed, the window goes up and stays up. When I release it i.e. door open, the window does drop, but sometimes after a bit shoots back up. Tapping or twisting the micro-switch has the window shooting up and down. I'd assume therefore that this switch needs replacing so will order one on Monday. Will probably have to wait a week or so for it to turn up!
    In the meantime, I'd like to give the latching mechanism a good re-conditioning as appears to have had some water contamination over the years. It is attached to the door by the two micro-switches, which can be disconnected from the door, but can the cable into the bottom of the central locking actuator be detached? There is a cable-tie holding the rubber boot in place (see photo 2). Shall I just remove this, and the means by which to detach the cable will present itself, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Ivan

• Cheers Reinhard,

It came off nicely. The microswitch will be here on Friday so a few days to clean and lube the handle and latch mechanisms. Also have had the chance to clean out and unblock the drain holes in the door. Had a clonking noise when the widow has been coming down. Turns out one of the screws in the front window guide was missing. Once the door is put back together, it'll be like new... hopefully!
    I am now in the process of dismantling the centre console. OBC needs to sent to Guido in Werne for pixel repair, and I need to change the lights for the temperature control dials! They haven't been working since I got the car. I should imagine some more posts therefore to come.

Cheers,
    Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!