• Yes and no. The 830i was envisioned as a lower cost entry-level model and 18 prototypes were built between March and July 1992. However, the 3 liter V8 was probably not up to the job and the project was cancelled. Instead BMW decided to go with the 840Ci.

• I heard some rumours by a friend of a friend´s cousin that your rumours are written in very thin ink :D

There was a rumour from inside BMW that all 18 found their way to the road as 840´s after an engine swap.

Here some "facts" as I can see them from the build statistics: none of the 830´s has a (different VIN) twin in the 840´s. Period.
    Hence: the likelihood to see an 840 which started its life as an 830 is beyond statistic probabilities.

Now... the hidden stash of BMW secrets... check it out here: secret BMW depot. This garage is not as secret as they make you believe during that video but rather accessible by way of BMW Classic. There seems to be an inner sanctum where the most valued possessions are in controlled climate storage but I assume you won´t find the stillborn 830´s there.

The likelihood they all went to execution in the BMW recycling facility Lohhof from my point of view is 100%

As one can see the company is not shy to discard items of seemingly much higher value than a measly 830.

As it is: no one (I know of) has ever reported of an 830 sighting which makes it a little different from the M8 that allegedly was "scrapped long ago", "hidden behind piles of crates", "loosely assembled" and whatever the internet lore reported until 2010 BMWCar came up with the sensational report of that well kept and near professionally finished (meant to be) racing 8.

Here´s another rumour... some say... the Stig is hiding away one of the manual 830´s in his underground dungeon but has yet to master the 218 HP of that fire breathing lame duck :D

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• I had an E34 530 with that small V8.
    Although the car was great, the engine itself was not up to the job.
    Coupled to an automatic transmission, it had it's problems with the 1.6 tons of the car.
    It's peaky torque curve caused a pause when one has tried to accelerate.
    After this car, I bought a E34 540 with the 4 liter V8. It was much livelier, faster and actually had less fuel consumption.

So I don't think anyone would have any fun driving a nearly 2 ton 830i... :laugh:

Cheers,
    Steve

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!