Advice with front suspension

• I have a UK registered 1994 850 CI Auto which has very recently failed its controle technique (French equivalent of MOT) due to a problem with the near side shock absorber unit. Its not balanced with the offside unit. The vehicle is in France and now on French plates and has electronic suspension with comfort and sports settings available from within the car.

The French garage is not being very helpful with any possible repairs saying the parts are not available. I have tried to research what parts might be necessary but I'm not technically qualified to sort this out. Could anyone help me in pointing me in the right direction regarding what replacement part might be required or possibly offer any suggestions as to what I might me able to do to resolve my difficulties

Many thanks

Martin CROUCH

• Hello Martin, the parts are available (at least here in the UK), but are expensive. The part that is probably causing the lack of symmetry is the strut itself - part 1 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enU…-BMW-850Ci&diagId=31_0158

Some members give up on the EDC and fit standard struts and springs as they are cheaper.

One thing springs to mind though - when the EDC (Electronic Damping Control) fails, the EDC light should come on - and stay on - is that happening? Also, they could try their tests in Sport Mode rather than Comfort mode - that might make a difference.

• Hello Timm

Thank you for your help and advice. In the end I managed to source two standard shock absorbers from Germany and the car is now back on the road minus EDC but with a 2 year Controle Technique certificate.

If I may I have another couple of questions for you:

I am thinking of trying to sell my car (which is in very good condition given is age (21) and 87,000 miles) There is however a long standing problem with the rear steering. This mechanism failed about 6 years ago but the garage said that it would be very expensive to repair and the fact that it no longer worked was no real problem for the car as the wheels had been set to straight before the system failed. The only problem is that a warning appears on the computer each time the car is started (rear axle failure) and there a warning light in the dashboard.
    Do you know if its possible to have the warning system de activated as it does not give a good impression to someone driving the car for the first time.

Lastly do you by any chance know where the best place would be to try and sell this vehicle. In some ways I will be sad to part with it as Ive owned it for the last 12 years but I think it needs an owner who has more mechanical skills that me to take it on and to enjoy the old lady.

Cheers Martin

• Regarding the AHK - I've never had to worry about that as I don't have it! But the advice you have given is right, if there is the slightest malfunction it will be locked in the centre, safe, position - and the light comes on. Other members would be able to advise you further as to the safe thing to do - but the warning lights are bulbs - which can be removed:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/B…ster_Bulb_replacement.htm

For selling I use Pistonheads and Ebay at the same time

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!