Battery Query

• Hi chaps,

Car won't start and relay just clicks but everything else seems to work i.e.. lights, windows, fan etc.

Also noticed a strange smell in cockpit that could be electrical?

Is it likely to be the batteries (8 years old) and would they have enough juice to power the various functions but not for the starter?

Do the batteries suddenly fail? I have noticed a slight sluggishness in starting just recently

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Graham

• It doesn't take much current to pull the starter solenoid in, and with failing batteries that's what usually happens. The solenoid pulls the bendix into position OK, but as soon as it does the current demanded by the starter motor drops the battery voltage to a point where all the lights dim and the solenoid disengages with a click. The starter will click away with the instrument cluster lights flashing in time.

That doesn't sound what is happening to you. So, with a good battery voltage I would guess that the starter itself has failed, especially as you are smelling a slight electrical frizzling. But, a good plan would be to check the battery voltage when trying to start. One of those £3 Ebay battery meters that plug in the cigarette lighter socket is perfect for this kind of test.

• Quick update.

Because the batteries were 8 years old I decided to change them anyway and as soon as they were installed she fired up and purred. The odd smell will have to remain a mystery for the time being although I can think of a few humorous possibilities. Maybe Timm's mouse from his fan and radiator overhaul project found its way down to Sussex! Two batteries from the local dealer at £80 each including Vat was a nice surprise too.

Zitat von NickF;132210

I'd get your hammer out Graham. Seriously, it's worth a quick whack as it may have just got jammed.

Always nice to know you are lurking Nick and yes, had it been the starter I would have certainly given it a couple of whacks first! Having read up on the replacement procedure it was not a job to be relished. How is your project progressing?

Cheers

Graham

• Project's going slowly but well. Everything is back from the powder coater and we're just waiting on a few parts to come in and it's all going back together. The mechanic is working on it when he had spare time so it'll take a few more weeks I suspect, but I'll be driving it again before Christmas. Can't wait. Really want to meet up next year with all you 8 heroes, or would be great to catch up Graham.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!