memorial run writeup!!!!

• Beautiful automobile...

Yeah, your car is ridiculous! Thanks for the photos and writeup.

I am also wondering what kind of NAV system you've installed. When I look closely, it looks like it says BMW on it, but my resolution is too blurry. Is that an OEM unit?

Please let us know.

Thanks.

• Thanks for the comments!!

To answer the questions about the NAVIGATION

1st.The unit is a OEM BMW Traffic Pro unit.
    2nd.It is the "same" thing as a Becker Traffic Pro (Harmon Kardon in the U.S.)
    3rd.Now this is important the DIFFERENCE between the two is this.....the BMW one will match the interior color EXACTLY,.....but you will pay approx 500-800 euros MORE for this!! (I got it off of Ebay for less than this difference)....but basically decide what you are willing to pay for "orange/amber" lighting!!!!!! (Personally, I am crazy about things like this.....they have to be perfect for me or nothing!)
    ---> Becker does NOT make a color that matches perfectly....they have mercedes yellow or audi red.....those are the closest colors.
    4th. The kit was retrofitted....it CAN be done....it is a PAIN-IN-THE-A**. But it can be done.

Hope this is helpful!!

• Zitat von Sniff

That is a stunningly beautiful car! :D

How much did the new interior cost you? And what is the navigation? It looks a bit like a Becker TrafficPro?

see the answer above....regarding the nav unit

as far as the interior.......let us just say....the amount was ridiculous! But worth every penny!

:lol:

• Traffic Pro

I would love to put one of those in my E31.

I have a few more questions, if you don't mind:

(1) Found some on German Ebay. Current bid is 600 Euros. Is that a good price?

(2) How did you figure out the retrofit? Trial and error? Is there a special E31 kit for it? Did you need the BMW Retrofit CD?

(3) Do you happen to know if it will work in the US?

(4) Will it give door-to-door, street address to street address directions?

Basically, any information you can share regarding what I need to install one and whether or not I will be able to use it in the US would be great!

Thanks a lot.

• I have seen US magazine reviews of the nav unit so I guess it does work in the USA. I did some investigations earlier this year when I saw the unit at my local BMW dealer (for 1500 Euros).

As the previous poster says..it's a Becker/BMW/Harmon Kardon unit, but from what I was able to gather the BMW OEM version not only matches the colour of the internal illumination, but it also will control the stock OEM CD changer, which the off-the-shelf Becker/Harmon versions will not do.

Try looking here: http://www.hktrafficpro.com for USA or
    here: http://becker-blaupunkt-dayton….com/navigation_start.htm for Europe

• I think Sniff is right for the most part. I can not answer whether the unit works in the US because the car is still in Europe. But, from what I know....it should work in the US.

As far as I know....BMW is not selling the OEM version at the dealerships in the U.S. (I may be wrong about this)

as far as controlling the OEM CD unit.....this may not be true. I read the same article, and the unit they used was a prototype. I can tell you that in Europe, the BMW Unit does NOT work with the BMW CD changer. ( I tried to find the online article....but search the web (I think it was in roundel, but I know it was put into a bmw z3)

Lastly, there is no "retrofit kit" for the E31. You have to do it yourself.

• Hmmm...interesting. When I spoke with my BMW dealer here about it they said they saw no reason why it would not control the CD unit of the 8, as it does control the units in the 5 and 3 series. I assume it uses the same control protocols and bus? Anyway, it is obviously something I'd want cleared up before I bought one.

• Decisions, decisions...

Thanks guys for the info.

I just love that thing. I did check out the HK site, but it doesn't come in that stock orange, like you said. Plus, it has HK logo instead of BMW logo. Such a stupid little detail, but it makes all the difference for me.

I suspect all you have to do is buy the HK Traffic Pro US MAPS and it should work fine in US. Hardware should all be the same, as GPS satellites are a global standard.

I am going to try to get one of German E-Bay and install it and see what happens. Wish me luck!

I also ordered recently a retrofit CD that BMW makes to go with the TIS and ETK. The seller claims the NAV unit is on there, so maybe it will have factory instructions.

If not, do you think you'd be willing to post what you did to install it?

Either way, thanks again for all the info. I love that thing!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!