wheels and tires

• Whats the biggest I can go to on wheel modifications without any mods to the body, I have 91 850i and have stock 16" alloys and would like to change for 17 or 18 inch with 245 45 back and 235 45 front any problems?
    Thanks
    Will

• At stock height 285/35-18 works in the rear with the right offset wheels. Lowered it requires some extra fender rolling.

Stock or lowered 275/35-18 in the rear is a good safe choice.

Front is customarily done at 245/40-18 to match the tire speeds for the ABS and traction control.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• bigger wheels

hi there will

my 840 sits on breyton magic split rims 19s all round fitted with 245-35 profile fronts &285-30 rears they look the dogs--------- and have no adverse effect on ride etc but watch out for those kerbs!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• tyres wheels etc

Thanks guys, you can call me a dumby if you like, but how can a car with the same size in width wheels have a difference of up to 5 cm for tread width which I assume the number 245/265/285 etc refer.

Many thanks

Will
    BMW 850i Abu Dhabi

• wide wheels- tires

dear will (dumby) only joking

iam no expert but as i understand ,a standard 8 comes with 235 rubber on 7 inch wheels. if for example you choose 8 inch wheels they will most likely be fitted with245 tires & 9 inch wheels 265 rubber my rear tyres are for instance 285 section &30 profile on 10 inch alloys which i forgot to previously mention required no body mods to fit inc my having lowered suspension so there we go as clear as muddy water

cheers bud steve

• wide wheels- tires

hi will

my front wheels are 9inchs wide one with a slight scuff(ouch) after getting too close to a granite kerb but the experts say no probs it will polish out.
    regards steve

• Stock is 16" x 8" I believe. You can fit 1 size wider tires on a set of rims with no problem. You can actually fit 4-5 different sizes on a rim if you look at the tire manufacturers charts, but there is 1 or 2 that are ideal. If you go with 18" x 8" rims all the way around, you can use 235/40/18 or 245/40/18. More common aftermatket fitments are 18" x 8" front with 13mm ofsets and 18" x 9.5" rears with 25mm offsets. The ideal tire choice technically would be 235/40/18 and 265/35/18, but most people (including me) go with the 245/40/18 and 275/35/18.

thewheelexchange in Flodida or aaarims in Michigan are two great places to get wheels, tires, mounting, ballancing, centercaps, emblems, lug bolts and shipping. Nither place will put weights on the outside or jaw marks on the inside like many shops do with thier mounting machines. The wheel exch is where I got the ones in my avatar. In machined finish with Kuhmo Extra Sipra 712's, the whole package is under $1,500. The chrome ones I have on there now with the slightly more expensive Toyo Proxes T1s tires were $1,910. for the whole deal, including shipping! They'll be at your door in a couple of days.

• Fartin nugget! Ok, maybe this will do it. Here is the avatar and gallery for the guest post above.

P.s. The second shot in the gallery is of the machined version with the Kuhmos on the same car, (the wing was off getting re-done). I tried them but sold them on e-bay as I thought the black car could use more flash. Those I got from AAA Rims. Go on their BMW Specials and click on the E38 (750il 1994-2001) that car has the same offsets and bolt pattern. The tires will be slightly different size, but they know what you need if you call them.

The chrome set I got from the wheel exchange. Their prices are a tiny bit lower, and they use FM rims. They offer many styles for the 8, they have a gallery to look at just as AAA does. If you are nearer to Michigan, the difference may be made up in shipping.

• Wheel sizes

I know a chap with an 840 that has Lowenhart 19inch wheels. Its not lowered and Im not sure of the width but I think it has 235 / 45 tyres. Looks trick!
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• bmw rims

Can 18 inch Donz Luciano rims with a 40mm offset fit on an 850 without vibrations or damage. If not, what is the proper offset for a 91 850

• Proper offset is 13mm front and 23mm rear. You'll want to stay quite close to those. 40 mm will most certainly rub unless the tires are really narrow, like 235's on an 8" wide rim. Most people run 245/40/18's in front on an 8 or 8.5" rim and 275/35/18's in rear on a 9.5 or 10" rim. 285's ok also, but 23mm is max ofset with those. You might get away with 18 or 20mm with the 275, but that's pushing it.

• bmw rims

Thanks for the rim advice. Finding nice rims with the proper offset is quite the challenge. Most of the rims that look good cause the car to vibrate. Would the offset for the 850 be classified as a mid offset?

• Well, I don't know what country you are in, but in case you are in the United States, here are 2 websites you can go to that have wheels and wheel and tire packages ready to go. They come with the new lug bolts, center caps, emblems, mounted and ballanced etc.

thewheelexchange

aaarims

On the aaarims site, ckick on the e38 7 series car. It uses the same offsets as the 8. Tires are a touch shorter for the 8, but they will get you the right sizes if you order from them.

I bought 18" (8" ft and 9.5" rear) M parallels in machined finish with Kuhmo 712 tires (245/40/18 and 275/35/18) from aaa rims for $1400 plus shipping. I bought the same package but with chrome rims and Toyo Proxes T1s tires from the wheel exchange for $1800 plus shipping ($100).

Happy shopping.

• wheels and tires

Ok so done it now, bought 18 inch by 8.5 wheels with 245X35 and 265x30 the offset was way too big so had to fit 8mm spacers on the front although the back wheels coped no problems, the scrape as I pulled out of the garage was nasty.
    Look the biz now though so thanks for all the help guys :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!