slow acceleration on startup

• Got into my 840 this morning to find that when i started the car i could only pull away at 10mph.So i resarted the car and found that i could reach 60mph but with no kickdown.Again restarted the car and found everything had returned to normal.Until tonight when the problem reoccurred.Can any of you enthusiasts out there shed a light.Thanks Karl

• Hi

The battery charge is usually the first check. If you drive it every day, it is time to load test both batteries.

If you don't drive it very often you might try charging the batteries.

Have you done anything different to the car lately?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Sudden gremlins seem to be the batteries a lot on the 8.

I'm used to not starting being the first sign of battery trouble but the 8 seems to have the need to scare you first.

Wet or loose connectors come next. I have had a loose airflow connector give a transmission failure before. All I did was change the spark plugs and the air cleaner and the transmission went into limp home!!! That was exciting!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Hi,
    A similar thing happened to me but it was the automatic transmission failsafe. It did come up on the dash though. It felt like the car was only running on 6 cylinders.

My engine also switch half of itself off one very cold morning. Again this is a failsafe. I turned the engine off the engine off and it was ok when I fired up again.

Hope you get it sorted. It's an awful/worrying feeling when something like that happens and you don't know why.

Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers!

Nick

• Took it to premier bmw today dreading the worst and they told me it was malfunction with the asc motor that was causing it to play with the air mass meter which was controlling the throttle thus preventing acceleration.Apparently the car is too clever for its own good.Having the asc motor replaced next week for £178+vat.Thanks to all.karl

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!