A true collector's car for the true enthusiast!

• Just wondering if any one out there has found any info on the speculated future cash value of the 8 series in the up coming years or decades in the U.S.? When do you think our cars will start turing around in value to the public eye?

I feel that the 8 series isn't getting the monetary value it deserves when compared to other discontinued cars such as the late model Toyota Supra and RX-7. Also, Corvettes never really lose value in the U.S. market. Why has the 8 series gone down so much? It's kinda funny because everybody who sees one (or me driving by) goes ga-ga over it thinking it's still $70K+ but the dealer trade value is a rediculous $14,500!

I love the 8 so much that it adds to the saying "Money can't buy happiness!" But I found out when I bought my 840 almost 3 years ago, my 8 bought me happiness!

Long live the 8!

John P.

• john --- we share your feelings, and have always loved others reactions to our 8s, it's almost incomprehensible our cars are worth so little,but i do'nt care, just keep spending what ever it takes to keep her looking beautiful,even more besides to carry out upgrades that take my fancy.

on a different point, ive just finished reading roadfly what a bunch of merchant bankers!!!!, i much prefer the serenity of club e31, what says you all.

steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Steve,

As long as the legacy of 8 series owners lives and great forums like this....the true value of our cars is priceless! :D Perhaps monetary value isn't everything....a true enthusiast is humble at heart!

John P.

• Ah so you saw the fun run of well heated posts on Roadfly!!

Normally it is a fun place but I think that a couple of Type A's had one too many days away from being in charge due to the holiday. Unfortunately there are also a few too many who love to pile on to the "victim" too.

Normally it is a more civil place than that.

It is too quiet here most of the time though. When I am the number 3 ranked Member poster, it is WAY too quiet.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• John
    Having failed to venture my opinion on your question before, I suppose that I should try now.

The answer is --Quite a while before price once again matches true value.

The last normal production year was 1997. The last 8 built was an individual sold in 2000. So the series has only been off the new vehicle market for 7 years at the most optomistic estimate.

Collectors haven't noticed it yet and won't for a while.

Attrition from poor maintenance and accidents haven't made it really rare yet.

It is still traded in sufficient numbers to be listed in places like Kelly Blue Book as a commodity. And as such the price is still subject to manipulation by a guy in a windowless office deciding he hasn't lowered the book value in a while. (All of the 850s including the CSi took an $8 to $10k drop in BOOK value OVERNIGHT last year--840s dropped about $5k about 2 months after that)

A good sign is that in the US the CSi didn't quite follow the last drop in book value. I would guess that most of the owners understood what they had was worth more than money.

The '98 SVT Cobra Convertible I just purchased will probably bottom out at a higher value and then rise again faster than the 8 because more potential American buyers "Understand" what Mustang Cobras are and feel ok Lusting after one. Whats an 840 Daddy?

For my part, I own my 840 because I love 8s. If my Wife or Kids get anything for it after I die......... Then Lucky them!! It just means that I couldn't wear it out fast enough!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry,

Well spoken and very true! It will probably take 25+ years for it to be a collectors. My dad once had a 61 Corvette and my mom regrets to this day my dad selling it for $25K ten years ago. It would be worth $50K right now. I remember reading a Road & Track article on classic Vette prices 15 years ago and I even told my parents that they are sitting on a gold mine. But what my dad told me is that he had his "fun" with it and didn't lose money. If it cost that much now, wouldn't feel comfortable driving it and that would take the fun away from owning it! I should take his own advice and not worry too much about the value of the 8, but enjoy it while I can!

Cheers,

John P.

• Zitat von Aaliyah724

Steve,

As long as the legacy of 8 series owners lives and great forums like this....the true value of our cars is priceless! :D Perhaps monetary value isn't everything....a true enthusiast is humble at heart!

John P.

here here!

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

• The 8 is The Constellation of the Cars

Dear friends,
    I drive 8 since 1995 (and many other cars from friends occasionally); friends and even my wife told me, that I will switch to another "reasonable" car - but I did not and I will not ! It is a sort of having fallen in love with my 8: it is simply a joy to see and cruise her every new day - since 1995, and I think there will be no end till one of us dies, me or my 8, I think (ambigually do not hope !), it will be me.
    For me the 8 is Lockheed's Connie of the cars: the most beautiful ever built car (and I have driven e.g. DB9).
    Just love and enjoy her.
    Manfred Hafner

• Re: The 8 is The Constellation of the Cars

Zitat von Hafner

Dear friends,
    I drive 8 since 1995 (and many other cars from friends occasionally); friends and even my wife told me, that I will switch to another "reasonable" car - but I did not and I will not ! It is a sort of having fallen in love with my 8: it is simply a joy to see and cruise her every new day - since 1995, and I think there will be no end till one of us dies, me or my 8, I think (ambigually do not hope !), it will be me.
    For me the 8 is Lockheed's Connie of the cars: the most beautiful ever built car (and I have driven e.g. DB9).
    Just love and enjoy her.
    Manfred Hafner

Wow! That was a true heart-felt story!

John P.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!