if your ride vibrates....read on!

• Shakes & Bad Vibes

Some of you will have experienced various Vibes and shakes that appear like wheel balance or out of round.

The suspension components are also susceptible to wear causing vibes however there are sevaral often overlooked areas that can fix a shake or vibe.

1 Aftermarket wheels are often the cause of a bad shake or wobble but it's not the wheel. Ther are two different hub sizes used on various models. The hub is where the wheel locates and this determines whether the wheel is runing a perfect circle or an elipse. 8's us the smaller diameter hub and often when fitting wheels from a large hub car the wheel is relying only on the bolts to centre the rotating mass. Baaaaaaaad! The solution is a hub centering ring, looks like a one piece main bearing that increase the diameter to give perfect centreing. Most wheel sellers will have them.

2. The exhaust system. Not sure about 12 cylinder models but my 840 which has had aftremarket cats fitted and presumably has put a little twist or perhaps a preload in the pipes gets a fair old vibe on acceleration at low revs. Could easily be mistaken for rough engine or suspension problems. Solution for mine (in part so far) was to lift and re- position the joins at the front muffler ie loosen the clamps jack the system 10 to 20 mm and problem is lessened. More to adjust and one robber hanger to replace (broken)

I wont get into suspension as its already covered on this site and Roadfly

Good luck 8er's
    theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I also had the very same problem & was quite desperate as most mechanics I was showing my car to could not solve it.

Then, I decided to get new tyres & new rims, the problem was immediately worse. I took the car back to the type shop, they did put these big black rubber bands like described in your option 1 & all is fine now.

Franck

• so my question is ...what is the diameter of the rings required for the 840Ci '96 (i'm sure it's all the same but i need a starting point from the mechanics manual or expierience).

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

• you gotta see see my point of view...i'm in Japan and english is NOT a required language and i don't speak local.

how do you say: plastic ring that wraps round hub and stops shaking.... :lol:

charlie...you said the sausages be ready in 5 min, 10 min. ago!

• When we were kids we used to bugger around with language and make up words like 'mukahoya' which (translated into idiot) means 'F#%em if they cant take a joke'! Perhaps if you went to a Tyre store and asked "mukahoya"?

Seriously now, you must stop messin round. The rubber rings may do the job but I wouldnt rely on them (could be a WOFTAM, waste of f*&#%$^ time and money). There are rings made of pressed steel, plated or possibly aluminum that do a far better job. They have a return radius like crank or conrod bearing but with a return that flares out at the disc side.
    Have a good look thorugh this sites older postings . Im sure someoene posted a site that mentioned Hubcentrics, hubcentre spacer or similar. surf the web and Im sure you will find a maial oreed outlet that has them There is only one size to bring the small diam (approx 64mm) to the larger diam (approx 70something?). try roadfly site also if you want the read but my bet is a mail order off the net.

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!