auto box failure

• Never heard of this, someone may be able to help. My transmission is stuck in park. Shift moves normally. Linkage is intact. But there is no drive at all. Had to put a trolley jack under the rear to move the car. I know if I go anywhere near a BMW dealer they'll insist on replacing the whole 'box. I thought that these things were bomb-proof; anyone come across anything similar? Any thoughts on what may have happened & whether it's fixable or do I need to look for a new tranny?

• May be the electrical selector switch under the shift lever cover.

If there were no symptoms before it happened then check the switch connectors in the console.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• spent a few hours on roadfly but theres nothing similar. It might well be worth draining & flushing the box but I can see no reference to the same problem. The actual shift lever moves normally with normal feel & no extra resistance plus the instrument display repeater changes normally. The mechanical link from the leaver to the box is intact & appears to move normally. But the 'box itself remains stubbornly locked in park regardless of the shifter position. I had a couple of 'false neutrals' selecting reverse in the week before this happpened but shifting into neutral & then re-selecting reverse did the trick. Anyone know who's any good at rebuilding ZF boxes in South Wales? :cry:

• Suggest you throw down the challenge to the GURUS

Those Roadfly guys are pretty helpful and love a challenge, which usually ends up in a slanging match...why not repost your question there...? and see what comes up..........allot I'm sure
    Cheers

Richard
    840 Ci Individual
    1995 factory CSi sport kit
    Ferrari 599 GT Red
    Hong Kong

• :arrow: If , the answer is yes !
    please read this ! :idea:

"The problem that you expose, with posting on the computer of edge has as principal causes, a starting with weak batteries (the calculators do not like the too weak tensions, below 10V) or a problem of lighting generating of the parasites on the electrical loom, or a problem of limps. Solution: to reload the batteries and to disconnect them, await 2 à 3 minutes and the re connect them by taking care to make a fast and frank connection."
    (from Professeur Alain)

RGDS

Philippe G

Philippe GEGOU (AMETHYST)
    BMW Club Serie 8 France
    E31 850 CI 1998 / X3 Drive 30e 2022 / I8 2017 / I3S 2020 / E30 cab 1992

• IIRC no reverse is a worn check ball in the valve body. So a valve body rebuild may be in order. There is a repair Kit available just for that. I think ZF has the kit. It was a common problem in 740 with medium to high mileage.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• No gears

Are you saying that the rear wheels are locked, or just that you are not getting fwd/rev?
    If your rear wheels are locked, it could be a damaged parking pawl. This is a small hook shaped lever, usually located in the tailshaft, which engages a crenelated (think castle tower) wheel, thereby locking your wheels when in the "park" position.

Regards,
    M.R.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!