Would a CSI exhaust improve the sound of my 850 Ci ?

• Hi guys i am wondering if fitting the OE BMW rear boxes from the 850 CSI would improve the sound of my 1993 850 Ci ?.I am starting to want a more sports car type howl from my car but i dont fancy the "loud" effect. Has anybody tried this or can one of you lucky CSI owners comment on the exhaust note against standard 850 ?.

Thanks

Carlos

• hi carlos, In my opinion both are the same except csi came with round stainless end (m power) both engines have a different displacement (5.0 & 5.6) and that were the sound come from :wink:

• Carlo,

All e31 systems are identical, even the V8's. Only differences are the tips and joiners at the cats.

A mate of mine just sold his CSI that had the big front muffler removed and twin outlet magnaflows fitted. Trust me on this one, it will give you the same feel as the first time you had an erection!

Not too loud and sounds like a GT should.

Removing the rear mufflers alone is worth a big lift in power. Dont ask how much but you will feel it. The originals have 3 kilos of scrap metal inside, never seen such a freekin mess. I cut the tops of mine , did a lobottomy and put the skulls back on. Sounded boomy at idle but couldnt hear it at revs. Made a big difference in pulling power.

Go Magnaflow or similar. Just cut the original rears off and glue one in two outs in place but they must be straight through types (can see through them). THE KEY TO SPORTY SOUND IS TO LOSE THE CENTRE BOX FIRST.

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I want to keep the stock look and also want it to be relatively quiet at idle and light throttle, with more of a roar when the gas is planted. Would removing the centre silencer, replacing with straight-through pipes onto the standard rear silencers work? What difference would an X-pipe make instead of two separate pipes?

Cheers!

• Paul,

either way you need to start with loosing the centre box. Not sure on x over pipes. I have heard different opinions. Only way to know is try before and after on a dyno and for the cost involved, Im staying with convention.

I can understand he factory look, that's individual. If you go to the Magnaflow website you can choose from a bunch of designs including the stock look.

Sound wise the Magnaflows are not at all offensive on either the v12 or v8. They have a deep idle and ket you know when you floor it but still they are not loud. Im a 56 year old that has been down the loud track with other cars and when I heard the 840 with magnaflows I decided there and then I needed some.

I may yet paint out the stainless in favour of factory looking black (on the main bodies) time will tell.

Go remove the centre box and see how it sounds.

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• OK thanks for that, I'll look into getting the centre box removed sometime. Need to get an engine mount replaced first though, and possibly also valve cover gaskets so could be a while before the exhaust gets looked at.

Cheers
    Paul.

• Hi Theo,
    I painted out the stainless to black originally. Then I took it all off again bak to stainless. Now they are black again, for good( I think). Black looks best I think. Which means my pics are now out of date so I'll just have to take another load I guess :roll:

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Hello Mr Higgs,

haven't been able to annoy you for some time!

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda 60% for black right now but I can see myself doing your trick. I like the stock look but need the sexy sound of the Magnaflows.

Heard one of three CSi's in OZ with them on and had a feeling like a schoolboy with his first erection! Then cam across a 645 with the later 4.4 and wow, loud but sexy. The same guy has an 840 and although they sound good not as loud and crisp as the 645 so maybe I'll need to insert a small length of tube in one of the pipes to block off some sound holes. Could be interesting but I'll need to be caefull I dont jam one in and find it barking at me!

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!