Unleash the Power of the V12.Cats Removed.

• ive been watching this site for years now but have never posted anything so this is my first post.here goes.I own a BMW 850 ci 1991 model 6 speed manual.since my car is old and the catalyzators needed changing i visited my bmw service in Hungary to ask how much it cost to get a pair of new ones.The price was 3000 euro for both.I thought no way im giving that much money for cats.id spend it on improving the engine suspension etc but not on cats.I study in hungary but im Greek.So this summer i took my 8 to Greece for the modification.After the intake manifold the pipe diameter is 45 mm it joins the cats and from the cats it continues to 55mm diameter and joins a junction wich then continues to the silencer.What we did is we cut the catalizators off and in their place welded a 55 mm stanless steel pipe all the way to the junction.Now heres the problem i encountered.In Greece 55 mm stainless steel pipe is not manufactured only 50 and 60 mm and up in scales of 10mm.But im a lucky sum bitch.My uncle owns a very big steel constructtion factory so he was ablle to manufacture the pipes for me.Be careful guys if you put a larger diameter or smaller than 55 mm in that space were the catalyzators were you will experienc POWER LOSS !!! serious power loss.I also changed the lambda sensors with new ones and screwed them in the new steel pipes.All work was done by a very very expirienced metal welder.Only true profesionals can perform such a job.Now the moment of truth turning on the engine.we turned on the engine and everything was working perfectly. no check engine lamps no warnings nothing everything perfect.This is because of the ecu installed on my 8.If you try this on an m3 or m5 forget about it.My mechanic and the welder performed this on an 1998 M3 what happend was massive power loss and check engine light.So it didnt work for that car.Now the sound.Because i didnt remove the silencer its not too loud,Its sporty i would say.Your here the v12 trust.Its a great sound not irritating at all.The moment of truth test drive.BIG power increase in the low rpms and in the highs.WE are talking about a different experience her.The car woke up as if it were asleep before.I have big wheels in the rear of my car namely 265/17 so its not for acceleration but let me tell you after the cats were removed first second and third gear would not stop skidding if you pressed the gas.All the way passed 100 km/h. Now thats power Gentlemen.I cant begin to describe the difference to you.you have to feel it for yourself.Ive had my 850 for 6 years so i know my car and tell the differnce perfectly.After the modification i took my car for a drive through greece italy slovenia kroatia and hungary some 2000 km trip in 2 days.No problems.Everything is working perfectly.One thing i noticed on the negative side for some people it mitght be negative but not fotr me.fuel consumption increase and significant too.Thats because the lambda sensors are not reaching there operating temperature and thus giving bad readings to the ecu with result higher fuel consumption.For me its not a problem when i bought this car i didnt care about fuel.No matter how much it consumes no problem.But this problem can be fixed by installin Bosch self heated lambda sensors and then no problem.You might be wondering right about now about green card and inspection.Well here in europe and especially in greece and hungary things are different.Money talks and bullshit walks.hehehe.I received my brand new 2007 green card this september with no cats on my car.If you have the ability to perform such a modification and get away with it than do it.you can install chips but you wont get the same power increase,cats removed has no comparison.and if bmw had a choice they would have made this car without cats.Its worth it.Just remeber before the days of pollution control and lambda sensors The Great All American Muscle Car had no need for catalyzators and praise the lord my 8 has no need of them either.Im gonna try and post some pictures of the modification and some sound and video files when i get the time.Till Then May The 8 Be with YOU.....

• Hi Crazy,
    Im with you on that one!.My exhuast is a full stainless system custom made with no cats,and what a difference!.I hear a lot of people say that they are sluggish till you get around the 100 mark but i havent found that to be the case, 3rd gear is bloody awsome, as well as the sound.I've been used to quick/fast cars for years and i know this one w/o the cats is quick.Like you, i can highly recomend it.
    Les

• Cats with better flow

I envy you guys! We cant do that in Sweden, so i was thinking Cats with a less restrictive flow. For example Race-Cats. Do you guys out there think there would be a noticable difference? And oh...I am planning on exchange my exhaust to a cat-back sustem, or at least change the rear muffler to ones that are less restrictive.

What do you think? Would these mods be the time and money?

Cheers Micke

• Zitat

Would these mods be the time and money?

Depends if you need to change your exhaust. If the old ones had it then a quick check of BMW prices may convince you.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• well when i was modifying my 8 I had the option of putting on sport catalysts.but the truth is there is no comparison between sport catalysts and no catalysts.no catalysts is alot better for power and horsepower gain.Day and night difference.I doubt youd see much difference with sport catalysts.I mean a difference worth talking about.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!