Engine clean up, yellow to silver(new)...

• Hello fellow 8 owners,

I was hoping some of you could help me on how to get my Engine to look like new again. Like get the gunk yellow stuff off. I have seen fellow 8 owners do this but never thought to ask. I would like it to look like this at the end (see pic)… Is there any danger to this? besides to be careful of the wires. I don’t want to do it and then later find out that I was not supposed to use a flammable version and then set my car on fire when I start it (lol) that would be funny! (Not really) Any brands that you can recommend would be great.

Cheers
    Sean

• Archives Review

Sean;

In answering your questions, I thought it best to use the archives from the last four years from Roadfly and ClubE31.

Here are the links you need (click on blue text below):

26-Oct-2001 - How do you get Cosmoline off?
    06-June-2003 - Roadfly Post - Cosmoline Removal
    22-June-2003 - Xradman Caution
    04-Jan-2004 - Cosmoline Revisited

It's amazing how much wisdom is contained in the archives!

• whenever i clean an engine i just use a mild degreaser left on for 10 minutes (i dont cover any wires or anything im just aware of them) then i rinse it off with a light stream of water. usually that gets the dirt of but then i use a mag and alloy polish to make it shine.You could try using an electric buffer to really make it shine, but for the black bits you should use perhaps mother's back to black or something similar. What are the black bits made of? you should run the engine for say 10 minutes or until dry, but ive never cleaned an 8 engine so it may be different.

I use black magic engine shine, i also use it on exhaust pipes (chrome) and it doesnt seem to harm them. If you rinse throuhly enough you dont need to worry about the engine exploding!! :shock:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!