New to the board, new to gigantic repair bills !

• Hello everyone/anyone,

A life long fan, and a recent purchaser of my childhood dream's car - a Black 840ci Sport Individual. Had to wait 8 years for the price to fall into my bracket, but I still think it was worth the wait - plus now at the ripe old age of 31 I can actually get insured on one.

Now the Honeymoon period is over I guess as I await the bill/check for the recent work carried out : New Wiper Mechanism, New Pass Side Side Light Cluster, and 2 new batteries.

Parts cost £450, and labour yet to be determined......

Still it should come back 100% (for now) and then I still have an 840 for under £11000.

Anyone care to guess what the final bill will be before I get it ? (I've also had all 8 bulbs up front replaced with Xenons, so that at least it will 'look' like some works been carried out ha ha )

regards

Tony

• Hi Big fella, how do you get on driving the 8 assuming your over 1.8m, as your user name suggests :!::!:

I had my wiper motor replaced recently, quite a lot of kit to remove to get in there, so i would expect around £ 240 for that, maybe £300 should cover all jobs IF you didn't take it to the stealers :)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hi, yes I am on the tall side. Probably one of, if not the, tallest 8 series owners in the world at 6' 8" (2.03m).

I get round it by having the seat back all the way to the rear seats and lowering the seat height fully, effectively making it a a 3 seater (!)........ but come on, was it ever really a 4 seater anyway...? Once thats done I actually find it comfy, a lot less cramped than other coupes I've driven. Recently did a 650 mile round trip in a day and didn't have any aches or pains afterwards, which surprised me too.

Regarding the labour price, I too am expecting around £300 on top of the parts bill. Just wanted to hear other owners estimates.

regards

Tony

• Here's how I estimate labour costs:

1. Guess how long it will take me
    2. Double it because I don't really know what's involved
    3. Double it again because something always goes wrong
    4. x £40 per hour
    5. Double it again because it's a big beemer and the owner must be rich
    6. Round it up to a couple of quid less than the next hundred
    7. Add VAT

for example, I'd guess that changing a light cluster would take 1/2 hour
    2. Double it, 1 hour
    3. double it: 2 hours
    4. = £80.00
    5. double it: £160.00
    6. Round it up : £ 198.00
    7. Add VAT: £232.65

Works every time!

• ripe old age of 31.....guess some of us are prehistoric 8ers....

Get the 8 manual and you can cope with small items yourself (being so ripe of age...).

Here in France they take 40 euros plus bulbs to replace the bulbs....takes 3 minutes yourself.

Cheers old ripe 8er.

Tim

• I was spot on..... sadly ! The balance for the work done is £755.00

This is a lot of course, but less than it could have been at, what I believe you lot call, the 'stealers' !

Work done:

Remove and replace wiper mechanism with new, genuine, BMW parts.

Replace both batteries with new Varta ones.

Replace cracked passenger side SideLight Cluster - which alone cost me £125 for the part. (I know there is one on Bay at present, I'm hoping it goes past that price to make me feel better !)

Fix Cig Lighter

Fix bad connection on one taillight

Fix poor alignment on Pass side Pop up head light

and finally replace all bulbs up front with Xenons.

Pick the car up this afternoon.

Cheers

Tony

• MAIN DEALER PRICES

Hi all. here in the UK. Not a lot of people may be aware that BMW. are now of the opinion that after market companies have made a bundle of money of there name. So Main dealers are offering non BMW garages BIG discounts on full service kits to make money. :shock: Details available if requested when I get back next week from Holiday. 8)

• AM I THE YOUNGEST 840 OWNER????

Well tony if youre the tallest BMW 840 owner then am I the youngest??
    I bought my 840ci sport individual which is the velvet blue colour at the age of 25 thats last year feb 05. I paid £22500 for the car but it was and still is in mint mint mint condition. Sadly however my insurance is in the 2.5k mark full comp and it doesnt help living in the worst area in london if not the whole of uk E5 postcode HACKNEY.
    But I had some spare change and I waited sice 1991 WHEN i first saw an 850I in red. It was love at first sight. And now Im trying to restore the car to excat show room condition. My friends are so jealous coz my best mate bought a alfa romeo 147 for more money and when u put it next to the 8 well..... theres no match. Another friend spent 28k on a brand new volvo and he regrets it. And in my line of work im not supposed to draw a lot of attention to my self ................ no im not a drug dealer but thats what my friends think I do... sell drugs to keep my eight running. LOL

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!