Greetings New 850 owner in Canada

• Hello All,

I am very recent proud owner of a 1991 850i 70K Km. I bought this car from a Japanese domestic auction and am having it shipped to Canada (if I then have it shipped back over to to Europe, it will have gone around the world by sea in its lifetime) :) It has a Hamann body kit (just the wing I think) and BMW alloy wheels.
    I saw a previous 1991 that I did not bid on, but, both that one and the on that I bought have a problem where part of the roof liner is separating from the roof. This can be easily fixed (I hope) but I was wondering whether this was endemic to the this model.

Also, what is the item in the trunk? It is not the CD shuttle, that is somewhere else.

Everything else checks out as mechanically sound and I am looking forward to driving her when she arrives.

I have enclosed some pics and would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks to all,

Thaddeus

Go 8 or go home.

• Where are you located? I recently helped a new owner with his recently imported Japanese Spec E31. I am in Langley BC just outside Vancouver where your car will likely be unloaded. We need to talk. I have 2 Brilliant Red 91's and am not an axe murderer.

Contact me via email at wuffer@shaw.ca
    Tom

• Hi and welcome to the club.

The thing in the Trunk is the factory stereo amplifier. The phone box would be there also if it has a factory phone.

Wuffer
    What do you use if not an Axe? :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• AH Good choice :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I'll see your garotte and raise you a katana...

Thanks for the welcome guys. The 850's final destination via rail is my driveway in Toronto. The stereo amplifier eh? That makes sense.

Do either of you have the ski pass-through/folding rear seats? Ever heard of this being undertaken as an aftermarket item?

Any thoughts on the sagging liner?

Waiting for an early Christmas

T.

Different Strokes for Different Folks
    -Sly and the Family Stone

• Niether of my cars has the pass-thru. Terry's does, Is it retrofittable? Yes, if you want to cut a hole on the bulkhead and purchase all of the parts you will need to do the job right.
    I was serious about the "we need to talk" comment in my earlier post. Contact me via email at wuffer@shaw.ca with your phone number and I will call you at a convenient time.
    Tom

• Welcome, and to answer your question, yes they all sag. I've heard that it is just as easy and no more expensive to just order a replacement headliner from the dealer, than to try and fix an old one. Something about the backing on the material disentigrating over time. Anyway, supposed to be an easy fix that you can do on your own. Good luck. Mine is next on the list, just hoping to make it till summer without it starting to fall on my head. By the way, you really should contact Wuffer. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there on our cars, and he probably knows something about getting your car into the country leagally that you need to know.

Cheers,

Paul

• Watch out for that ''Wuffer'' bloke mate,

any one that has two red 8's must have have an axe someplace handy!

The price of a replacement headliner where I am is 10 times the repair cost so re lining is the answer for Aussie 8 ers. The material is foam backed, approx 2 maybe 3mm of foam and it doesnt stand up to time especially in hot climates (perhaps that's why the UK blokes dont have a problem). The foam turns orange and simply disintegrates. The headliner is a 20 minute job to remove and glueing a new cover on is no big deal but get a quite on repair and compare to a new one. If the new is not much more the get it in preference to letting an enthusiastic trimmer cut loose!

Next time I visit my daughter in Whistler I will be looking for a couple of guys to talk some "s#@t with so maybe you Cannukers will have formed a friendship and will welcome a bloke from the underside of the planet for a few cold brown fizzie drinks!

Cheers boys

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Thanks Paul and Theo. Nice to know that I am not alone on the headliner issue. I'll get some trusted chap to do the work.

BTW
    The car is a legal import. Papers and all. If the cars are 15 years or older you can legally import them into Canada.

Theo, well if I am up skiing in Whistler as well, maybe that will happen. As it stands geographically, Toronto to Vangroovy is farther than Melbourne to Freemantle.

Hmmm...

Then again a cross country tour might be just the thing to do in the 8!

T.

• No probs over here with headliners as theo says :D so there is an upside to living in our climate. :(:lol:

Just a thought, do the White coloured cars get effected too!

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Next time there I might be buying a motor home to bring back here and will most likely visit family in Welland and St Catherines. So a drive from East to west is a high probability.

An 8 fest along the way would be real nice to include in CDN. Guess if I planned it well the boys across on Georges side of the fence might also have a gathering happening Perhaps I could entice them with some Fosters beer. Does Molson still have the blue labels? Maybe they wouldnt notice the difference?

And Hey Parksie, good question on the white ones. Im not sure if it's age or heat that kills them. Mine is a red 94 which was just starting two years back.

Cheers guys

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Headliners are good in both my cars from the standpoint of the sagging issue. However if you press on the headliner (as in stretching during a long trip) it leaves dimples in the headliner that dont come back out - a sure sign that the foam backing is breaking down. Some local guys have had success having headliners re-upholstered using a thin headliner material, Don't use the normal thickness as it will make the headliner very difficult to re-install and cause some binding in the sunroof. Learned the hard way.

• Zitat von Peter West

I have no trouble with the head liner. But then I live less than 10 miles from Steve. It definitely could be the weather. Try not to get any sun on the roof of the car. Ever. That should do it.

Er...

Memo to self:

Only drive the 8 at night or in overcast conditions. Ok got it, Any other tips? 8)

T.

• Zitat von Wuffer

Headliners are good in both my cars from the standpoint of the sagging issue. However if you press on the headliner (as in stretching during a long trip) it leaves dimples in the headliner that dont come back out - a sure sign that the foam backing is breaking down. Some local guys have had success having headliners re-upholstered using a thin headliner material, Don't use the normal thickness as it will make the headliner very difficult to re-install and cause some binding in the sunroof. Learned the hard way.

Memo number 2:

Establish protocol regarding stretching in car. Post same on passenger side. 8)

T.

Seriously though, this is good info to know and its appreciated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!