Next Stage?

• Hello, my name is Dave. I am 20 years old and I live in Scotland. I currently own a 1998 316ise. While this may not be the top of the range for either that year or that specification, I have always had a love for the 8 series ever since I saw one in my estate; I always asked my father (who himself had six 3 series from 92’ – 98’) “what is this car?”

While at the time his answer made little or no difference, recent research has lead me to believe that although my eyes outshine my insurance premium, I want to own an 850Csi.

I would greatly like to hear what current owners of 8 series cars think would be the next step for me. (BMW of course)

Many thanks, Dave

• Dave, stick to your 316 until you are 25 years old, at least.
    I dont know about your country, but in my country insurance will cost you more then $4,500 a year, and you would be lucky IF any of them would offer you insurance at that price.

Even if you buy it and insure it under your dad's name and have yourself as a second driver, petrol will cost you 3 if not 4 times more then what you pay now for your little 316.

• Dave,it is a good thing to see that the new generation(like me:) ) will follow the 8 WORLD.As you see that car is a "legend car" that made us dream about it many times and this will go on...I haven't owned one for now but I hope I will...In my country,petrol is a very big problem to afford while using such a tank!So I've started to plan for a LPG system.I wrote this,because after using 316,costs(especially gas) may irritate you and this may be an extra idea for you...
    I hope you have your dream car before me...Good luck...

• Just do it!

Hi
    If I were you I would go for a pre 97 840 . Make sure its had all of the Nikasil issues resolved with the engine as there was a problem with detergents causing problems. The history file will alert you to the fact if the engine hasnt been seen to. If its pre 97 you could always try and get limited mileage insurance, say 5000 pa max which will reduce premiums as it then can be classed as a 'classic'. If your ein the wilds of Scotland I expect your postcode will be sympathetic also!
    Do a load of research though as they are all getting a bit long in the tooth and could cause much heartache. I dont expect youll get much insurance on a 850csi but good luck!
    Steve

• My insurance is now £323 per year (I'm 49). I asked about my 20 year old son coming on with me. The few companies that didn't laugh wanted more than £4,000.

£4,000! And I have an 850Si, not anything like as rare, powerful or expensive as the Csi.

• Sorry to hear that insurers are inserting the forked stick in your asses.

Insurance is never a cheap commodity but recenetly here in Melbourne Australia I re insured with a company called Shannon' who provide insurance for enthusiasts like us. Premium was a little over $500 for an agreed write off value of $48000, I keep the wreck if totalled and I nominate the repeirer of my choice. Also have my wife and 25 year old son as nominated drivers.

Shop around and try for lower premium by having higher excess.

Good luck and hope removal of the bent stick goes well!

magturing disgracefully

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• arsepigeon, like said above, wait till your 25 mate. I'm about to by my 3rd BM and I also fell in live with the 8. Since i was a kid I always wanted one and have wated till now to own one. I'm 31 and have an e36 325i, which has been modded up with chips and all sorts. Now I have deiced to buy the 8 and are looking a few at the mo. I just had a quote for ia 850ci and it came in at £511, I was well chuffed as the e36 is costing me £600. Stick with your 316 or even move up to a 325 for now and build your no claims right up, if your like me, the wait will be well worth it :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!