Thinking the unthinkable....

• As unlikely as it may seem, I feel I'm getting bored with the 840 :shock:. So I'm considering selling up and either buying a smaller, more nimble sporty car, or just banking the cash and using my boring runaround car as my only car (it's a 3.0 V6 Omega). Been considering things like the Boxster 3.2 S, 350Z or Elise, but who knows.

It's not a final decision yet, but if I do go ahead with it I'll probably sell in a few months time once it's time for the Inspection II service (which I'll get done just before selling). There are 3 greens showing just now so I guess that's my countdown to doomsday :lol:

My 840 is one of only 57 RHD models with the 6-speed manual gearbox, so it's a rare beast which will hopefully help generate some interest. No idea what a realistic price is though so I'd better get researching!

Paul.

• If you're not happy with your car ,give it a wash & polish then stand back and admire the lines of this elegant beast ,then take it to the forecourt and fill up the tank,this is the bit i enjoy,other interested motorist eager to know what you're driving. :D

Park up outside your local Halfords store, stand away from the car,& count the people looking at your car, i like to bet no more than 2 out every 10 people fail to notice an 8.

It does not happen with other cars :D:D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• You're absolutely right Steve. I gave her a good bath this weekend and she looks amazing again. Then took her for a drive and heads were turning :D It's like every relationship: Put a little effort in it and you'll surprise each other.

Cheers,

Peter

• Utter madness!

Paul

I did the same a few years ago. Did 80000 mile sin 18 months in a T plate E31. Thoght I was bored with it and made the mistake of buying an XJR [ZZZZZZZ ...rebodied Granada with a big lump] then a couple of other dogs and then an SL600. For the last 6 months Ive travelled far and wide to try and find a decent E31 as I couldnt really get them out of my mind. Bit like your first love I suppose!
    At last Ive found one and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Its as if Ive never been away. Not fast but who cares when there is not a bad line on the whole car. As far as the attention goes, well, thats up to you but Ive been asked already if its a new BMW ....
    Go and get it valeted and see if you change your mind!

• LOL "sell the Omega"... It's not even in the same league as the 840, only reason I have it is to keep the miles down on my "proper" car (whether that be the 840 or otherwise), and it's also fair game for being parked in the town overnight etc if I'm out for a few beers, without fear of vandalism etc. Basically a luxobarge with reasonable power for chewing up motorway miles, and it's worth almost nothing anyway :P

Still undecided, but I just fancy something a bit more involving. The 8 is great and definitely gets noticed, but it just doesn't have the kind of driving feedback I'm looking for. I had a Subaru Impreza WRX before, and while they now have a bit of an image problem (too common and lots of them are owned by boy racers) it was great fun to drive as it was light and nimble.

The things that really draw me to the 840 is that I'll probably never have a car as exclusive again, the V8 sounds amazing, and it's still a great car for doing boring motorway journeys too. I also have to bear in mind that if I decide I want another 840 in future then it'll be very difficult to locate another 6-speed manual, being that they're so rare (and an automatic simply isn't an option, they're dull as ditchwater IMO, I'd rather be driving the Omega 8) ).

I don't yet know, chances are I'll at least keep it until the inspection 2 service is done, so that'll be a few thousand miles yet. Probably stick a full 12 months MOT on it too, as I'm completely confident it'll pass without any problems.

Watch this space..... :P

• Started removing some stuff from the car today... 2 pairs of RCAs (one still in there), the new speaker cable and the bus cable for my DAB box. Wasn't using any of it anyway, I decided against replacing the factory amp and never used the DAB cos I couldn't find a suitable aerial that wouldn't make the car ugly.

So I'm one step closer to making the nightmare decision. Had a look at a 350Z today and TBH it feels more sporty inside due to driving position, much smaller and chunkier steering wheel (one of my dislikes with the 840), and a much shorter throw on the gearshift. Saying that, it feels cheap inside, and the engine noise is no match for the V8. Not convinced on that one, and it was up at £21k!

Here's a few pics of my 840, pity about the lack of sunshine though it looks really good on a nice day :)

• Right then...

Change the steering wheel and put a short-shifter kit on and then see :wink:

You could also lower it and tweek the suspension a bit. You would then get a really nice ride...

And if you are completely nuts like SteveP then go for a supercharger and you would not get bored for a long time.....

All the best in your decision though... :cry:

• Paul I'm goina send you over some tablets, go lie down in a cool dark room ,take a couple of tablets, try to rest, then for fcuk's sake man come to your senses :D:D:D:lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• LOL... I still haven't decided yet so there might be some sanity still in there somewhere :lol:

Zitat von schnitz850

Change the steering wheel and put a short-shifter kit on and then see :wink:

I'd have changed the steering wheel a long time ago if there was a suitable replacement that works with the airbag. Unfortunately all the decent BMW steering wheels are newer ones with dual-stage airbags that don't work with our cars. I already have what I consider to be the best steering wheel that works on the 8, but it's too big and too skinny for a sports car. I'm just glad I don't have one of those huge ones fitted to US cars, think BMW raided the local bus garage for those :shock:. Here's the steering wheel in my car:

As for the short shifter, I did consider it but it's both expensive for the part, and major work to install. So ends up costing £500+ to fix something that really should have been fixed in the factory, and you'll never get anything back on that cost come resale time. It's just not worth the money at that price.

Decisions, decisions!

• "...at resale time"? The whole point of this is to customise the car to give you the car you want. Resale then doesn't come into it.

The point is, I think, you either own one of these cos you love them (even if that means a bit of personalisation and customisation), or you buy it as an investment.

With the 8, the latter aint going to happen for a long time, if ever. These are to be driven and enjoyed.

Consider what you would have got now for the 8, what you would pay for the new machine, then if there would be a net expenditure, what you could do to the 8 for that money.

Sometimes you need to get these things customised, and there is huge talent out there customising cars. I'm sure it would be possible to get a smaller chunkier steering wheel to fit with airbags, it just might not be a BMW wheel. Does that really matter? Same with the gear shift.

There have been times when I've seriously considered whether I did the right thing buying this 850 when I see the bills, but whatever other car I drive, they never have that something that the 8 has got. Once you've had one, you're hooked.

Don't do anything you'll regret later.

Good luck with the decision.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!