Front Spoiler / Side Skirt for 840Ci

• I haven't actually physcially owned this car yet but am just waiting a dealer pre-purchase inspection. Once I get it I would like to do a few things to it, mainly add a front-spoiler and side skirt

Any suggestions? Where can I buy them in US (east coast)?

Thanks in advance...

• Hi

What are you looking for? Replacement or Tuner stuff?

There are a lot of pictures of different tuner stuff in the public Gallery. However the choices are really limited.

Replacement is pretty much limited to the Dealers. We do have a dealer that discounts more deeply than most :)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I'm mainly looking for tune stuff, because the car is in excellent condition. I would like to know if its a good idea to get the car painted with its original color again or should I get a different color, I definitely want to get rid of the nicks and such.

Thanks

• Terry's front spoiler looks great and is from wingswest, I believe. I have Schnitzer side skirts, rear spoiler, and part of the rear valance on my car, but no front spoiler. As Terry said, this stuff is hard to come by and very pricey. I priced the Schnitzer pices from one source and it was in the thousands for each piece. Terry knows of a guy that sells knock offs of the Schnitzer kit at a reasonable price, but I understand that the quality isn't great, lots of sanding and pre-paint prep. Maybe someone else out there knows of a good source???

Paul

• No,

The car is all original. I have five coats of Zaino Bros. Show Car Wax on it and that helps. Closer inspection would reveal lots of little stone nicks on the hood. I did find the last time I was detailing that a permanent marker of just the right shade helps to hide small nicks and scratches. The color is Laguna Green. Unless you just hate the original color, i wouldn't change it. Changing the paint color on a car involves taking it apart if you really want to do it right. Just touch up the bits that are nicked and call it a day.

Paul

• I have only seen one re-color in person. There are so many spots down in the bottom of the enginge compartment that need to be painted to make it complete that you would have to remove the engine to get them all :(

Keep the original or do a subtle shade shift at most if you have it repainted.

Here in the US a "proper" re-spray of the original color would start at about $3000 if done even close to right.

I bought mine in the color that I wanted and drive it every day. Don't worry about stone chips a whole lot with Silver. My wife may have it repainted before I am buried in it though :D

The tuners have pretty much abandoned us by now. If they still have something in inventory they will happily sell it to you. Make more? It is out of the question in most cases because the market is too small.

Mine is just about the way that I want it :D

• I wish there were more options for our cars as well. Sometimes it's hard to decide to go really tricked out or keep it as original as possible. The CSI kit is always clean. You can occassionally find the Reiger kit on ebay or replica AC. Erubuni has a nice simple kit. Has anyone seen it in person or any other pics other than the Erubuni ad? I like the Wing's West front chin I had traded with Terry, but due to my steep driveway, I could not have it on my car.

Still I'm trying to find a front chin with less of an approach angle, but something different than the CSI front. I may someday make a custom one since I have quite a bit of connections with carbon fiber & fiberglass fabricators.

The 8 is definitely a sexy car and I would not want to ruin its great curves and the respect I have for the BMW design engineers. I would however, want to make it unique...as to describe my own personality.

We're never sure if the value of our cars are going to rise (unless you have a CSI with extremely low miles) but if you don't enjoy it now...the daily value is lost.

I'm glad to see Terry is showcasing and enjoying the front lip I had traded him a while back for a chip (which I haven't installed yet...I just have too many projects and work) hopefully I will before I hit another mid-life crisis. As for myself, I am not in the biggest hurry on the mods as I plan on having my 8 for years to come.

Cheers,

John P.

• Front Spoiler

Hi All: I too am looking to possibly add a front spoiler to my 850. I have ordered & received the rear 'factory style' small wing spoiler from http://www.electrodyne.cc/ (AKA) http://www.racdyn-usa.com/. I am very impressed so far with the quality of this rear spoiler for the very reasonable price. I will be painting and mounting this in the next few weeks. However, I'm still undecided on a front spoiler. I think the factory CSi front is nice, but am looking for something a little more reminiscent of my 1988 635CSi type front spoiler.

Terry, can you share more about the Wings West front spoiler you have on your silver 8er? That front spoiler really looks great with your silver paint. I wonder how it would look on my Oxford Green 850? I would like to know more of how it mounts and if the upper and lower air intakes mate directly to the stock front air intakes / lower lip spoiler? Any close-up photos or actual installation photos would be great. I spoke with Wings West and they say the front spoiler is urethane. Is yours fiberglass or urethane?

bizzy840, here are a couple of other web sites besides electrodyne I found of vendors who still carry front &/or rear spoilers for our beloved 8 series.

Enjoy, Scott

http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/englisch/

http://www.wingswest.com/

http://www.gmpperformance.com/

http://www.zeemax.com/

One of the best body styles on a BMW!

• The WW spoiler slips over the stock bodywork.

It is designed to be installed with double sided tape.

Mine is bolted at the two license plate holder bracket points under the central flat.
    Two additional screws were inserted from the bottom at the rear of the spoiler on each side by the wheel well where the holes can't be seen if I take it off.

• Are any contours similar enough that you could use spoilers and lips from any other models, such as the E32? I would expect some minor modifications but just a thought.

If it doesn't make it run better, go faster, handle better don't bother...

• To Terry...

Hey there Terry, I've been a ClubE31 com fan for a long, long time but have just decided recently to get a username. I just thought I'd say howdy because I could'nt help but notice that fir tree in the middle of your lisence plate (Oregon!). I'm at U of O right now - from Lake Oswego and I work for Freeman European Motors in SW Portland. I've seen your car many times on ClubE31 and just thought I'd say hello! Beautiful E31, hopefully someday I'll get to own one of these beauties instead of just driving them weekend to weekend!

- Matthew

• Re: To Terry...

Zitat von FreemanDriver

Hey there Terry, I've been a ClubE31 com fan for a long, long time but have just decided recently to get a username. I just thought I'd say howdy because I could'nt help but notice that fir tree in the middle of your lisence plate (Oregon!). I'm at U of O right now - from Lake Oswego and I work for Freeman European Motors in SW Portland. I've seen your car many times on ClubE31 and just thought I'd say hello! Beautiful E31, hopefully someday I'll get to own one of these beauties instead of just driving them weekend to weekend!

- Matthew

Should I ask you to guess where I bought mine in Portland? :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von SEVERED

Are any contours similar enough that you could use spoilers and lips from any other models, such as the E32? I would expect some minor modifications but just a thought.

The Reiger appears to use the E32 lower spoiler with the fogs in it.

The ONLY Bimmer that I have seen with fewer toys available then the E31 is the E32 :(

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Freeman Sticker...

You know what Terry, it was about five seconds after I posted my comment to you that I noticed - you're a good man... You still have the Freeman sticker in the window. We sticker every single car that comes through and Eric Freeman (you might have met him at some point) is very proud of all owners who keep our stickers in the window. So I extend a thank you (if it's gone now days, not that big a deal to me) for keeping it in the window. I hope Freeman Motors treated you well!!

• I keep sending people there and still have the sticker in the window.

Let me know the next time there is an 850 six speed in house. I need to test drive one to decide wether to convert the 840 or not.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Front Spoiler

Hi Terry:

Thanks for the close-up shots of your front spoiler. The more I look at yours, the more I like it.

Does the lower air duct of the WW spoiler mate directly to the original black lower lip spoiler on your car? Or did you have to remove or modify the lip spoiler? Does the WW spoiler provide direct airflow into the original lower air duct of your car? I live in Florida and one of the major concerns I have is cooling during the summer months here in the 'Sunshine State'.

Also, fiberglass or urethane? Is your car lowered or stock height? Looks like you have about 6-7 inches of front clearance between spoiler and pavement. Is that a good estimate?

- Thanks again, Scott

One of the best body styles on a BMW!

• The spoiler is fiberglass.

The front lip is almost exactly the same height as the original rubber spoiler which is still there. Currently there is about 6" of ground clearance on level ground.

It would be possible to connect the WW bottom lip to the original spoiler with a small sheet of stiff plastic to duct the airflow. You may need to down there because I see about a half needle width higher on hot days here in the Northwet.

My 840 is about as low as you can get one. H&R springs with 1/2 turn cut off of the front coil to compensate for K-Mac camber plates.

My primary rub is on the front corners rather than the center but you do figure out how to stop short of the curbs when parking rather quickly :shock:

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks for the info on the e32 Terry.

I am looking into what all is available and if I find something really cool I'll post up some pics/info.

If it doesn't make it run better, go faster, handle better don't bother...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!